Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   96 Accord Hydrolocked with fuel & no ecu connection (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/96-accord-hydrolocked-fuel-no-ecu-connection-64713/)

CharlesR 06-16-2017 10:27 PM

96 Accord Hydrolocked with fuel & no ecu connection

Hello, new to this site but not new to working on my daughters 96 accord 4cyl (non VTEC). Had a cel code I pulled with the egr insufficient lift and I had cleaned the ports 12 months prior. I was doing some egr checks with a 12v jumper and a vacuum gage when I made a terrible mistake.

I accidentally put the 12v jumper on the outgoing egr plug positive terminal. In another words I put 12v to 12v and engine immediately died. When I tried to restart and turn engine over the cylinders & intake filled up with gas. It was totally locked so I pumped all the gas out of everything then went to check fuses and found someone had put a 30 amp fuse in a 7.5 amp ecu spot. Right then I knew it had fried something somewhere. Hooked up my torque pro and it said no connection to ecu. I also have no fire and of course the injectors just let the fuel pump spray gas right on through.
Can someone give me a little help!? I can't find a good diagram to help figure out what controls what and where I need 12v or ground. Changed out Ecu and it didn't change a thing.

PAhonda 06-17-2017 07:50 AM

Which fuse box had the 30 amp fuse inserted instead of the 7.5? Is this the backup/radio fuse? Does the 7.5 amp fuse keep blowing?

What wire color did you accidentally jump with 12V on the EGR valve?

CharlesR 06-19-2017 06:26 PM

Thanks so much for asking and sorry for the late return. Working overtime has kept me from the garage and computer.

The 30 amp fuse was inside the interior box @ the drivers kick panel. The ecu and back up radio at the underhood fuse box is fine. There is 11.8 volts to both underhood fuses.

I accidently touched the yellow/blue + wire on the harness side. It no longer has any outgoing voltage.
The black/yellow at the Egr control box has 11.8 volts.

PAhonda 06-19-2017 09:42 PM

I'd suggest testing all of the fuses.

That yel/blu wire is the 5V reference voltage for the throttle position sensor. Does the TPS yel/blu wire have a 5V reference?

What was the honda part number for the PCM you replaced?

CharlesR 06-20-2017 07:12 PM

It has BA7 on one side and 37820-POB-A70 881-118097
I pulled it from a wrecked 96 lx that was running when parked. The one I took out of my accord has the exact #'s .

The yel/blue at the EGR (the one I touched 12v to) has zero volts and also the TPS yel/blue has zero volts.

The zero at TPS may explain the injectors filling cyl?! Doesn't the pgm-FI relay lie in between the 2 fuse panels and ECU?
I will check incoming current on fuse terminals & ohm check fuses as well tonight. Will get back to ya.
Thank you for trying to help!

PAhonda 06-20-2017 08:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Something is drawing the current for the 5V reference signal from the ECU. I suspect the wiring got damaged when you supplied power and you will to trace down where the 5V signal is lost in the wiring. This will be a bit tedious.

The 5V comes from D10 on the PCM, goes through C352/C134 out of the main wire harness on the driver's side of the engine bay, then through C267/C129 on the passenger side of the engine bay. I attached some pics.

Unplug C352/C134 on the driver's side of the engine bay and verify the yel/blu wire in that connector has 5V on the PCM side of the harness. Do the same with only C267/C129 unplugged.