Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   97 LX V6 Cold Air Only at Hwy Speed (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/97-lx-v6-cold-air-only-hwy-speed-26042/)

accord962 06-15-2009 10:48 AM

97 LX V6 Cold Air Only at Hwy Speed

My AC blows hot air while idling or driving around town but the air is cold at highway speed. It there a bad sensor that's causing this or the compressor clutch? Anyone got a clue? Thanks.

00AccordLX5spd 06-15-2009 11:02 AM

Do both radiator fans spin when it is in park and the AC is on?

accord962 06-15-2009 12:11 PM

I will have to check when I get home. You saying the radiator fans needs to be running for the AC to work properly? If it's not what do I need to look to replace?

JimBlake 06-15-2009 02:06 PM

We just want to know what works, what doesn't, to help decide what further tests you need to do.

If the fans run when you turn on the AC, next thing for you to check is whether the AC compressor clutch spins. Look at the AC compressor pulley. The middle of the pulley "HUB" will spin along with the pulley for awhile. Then it'll stop. If the center hub never spins, that's another piece of information to help figure out this problem.

Depending on the answers, there can be different electrical tests for you to do next.

00AccordLX5spd 06-15-2009 02:52 PM

^ As he said.

Also, That 97 V6 is a fairly rare breed. I spent a lot of time on my 95 V6 before I traded it in so if you have any additional problems, post a thread then PM me so I can go look at the thread and see if it was ever anything I experienced with mine.

accord962 06-24-2009 03:58 PM

Here is the update. Both fans are running with AC on and also when the engine warms up. Fuses and relays are good. Compressor does not click on at idle or around town speed but the air is cold at hwy speed. Took it to a service center and they say that the computer is not sending ground to compressor. They suggested replace compressor, heater core, computer ($1200). I ask how do they explain that the compressor comes on at highway speed and still waiting their answer.

00AccordLX5spd 06-24-2009 04:28 PM

RUN AWAY!!!

Why would you need to replace the comressor if they didn't find anything wrong with it. JUst because the compressor is not getting ground does not mean all that crap nees to be replaced.

They are trying to pull one on you.

I bet they didn't even test it right. They probably just told you a bunch of crap to get into your wallet.

Try this: See if you can tap on the compressor clutch while the car is idling with AC on full blast with something of decent weight like a wrench. Clearance is tight and be extremely careful not to get anything caught in the moving pulleys. If the compressor comes on when you tap the clutch, the clutch gap is too big.

Do you have a Voltmeter? It would definitely help to see if the compressor is getting power...