Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   97 SE brake line leak (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/97-se-brake-line-leak-43801/)

moey 11-06-2011 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by lmrj0030 (Post 260409)
haha i know what you mean! I tried removing the whole pipe. I even unbolted and removed the brace that holds all 5 pipe lines and the second i tried to remove the pipe from the plastic holder thing above the brace, the pipe just snapped due to rust. So you're telling me that i should replace both lines and reconnect via master cylinder (brake fluid tank reservoir) cuz it's easier than replacing one? I know that there is only 1 pipe that goes down and somehow turns into 2 pipe

Its a tough route back to the master cylinder, my lines were in good shape from the master cylinder basically to wear they start to get exposed to salt which is a couple inches above the bottom of the car. There should be two break lines that are in the shield underneath, in addition there are the fuel lines in there. If the lines are in bad shape you may want to replace both but dont make more work for yourself if its not needed. If your lines are that corroded I think your probably opening a can of worms trying to remove the shield underneath and messing with lines your likely to break fuel lines. I would think about routing a new break line underneath and putting it outside the shield and just tying them to the shield with zip ties, depending on how big of project your looking for.

I replaced mine because of state inspections not because of them failing, the fuel lines looked the same but the inspection standards are more lenient then break lines so I left the fuel lines.

lmrj0030 11-06-2011 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by moey (Post 260431)
Its a tough route back to the master cylinder, my lines were in good shape from the master cylinder basically to wear they start to get exposed to salt which is a couple inches above the bottom of the car. There should be two break lines that are in the shield underneath, in addition there are the fuel lines in there. If the lines are in bad shape you may want to replace both but dont make more work for yourself if its not needed. If your lines are that corroded I think your probably opening a can of worms trying to remove the shield underneath and messing with lines your likely to break fuel lines. I would think about routing a new break line underneath and putting it outside the shield and just tying them to the shield with zip ties, depending on how big of project your looking for.

I replaced mine because of state inspections not because of them failing, the fuel lines looked the same but the inspection standards are more lenient then break lines so I left the fuel lines.

What did you use to splice your pipe, i will have to probably do that and bolt back the brace brackets.

If you can remember, what are the things you used to splice then and if you have to flare the pipes.

lmrj0030 11-07-2011 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 260424)
There's 3 fuel lines & 2 brake lines. They are probably all 5 in about the same state of corrosion. Ask your mechanic if it makes economic sense to do all 5 so you only have to remove all the other stuff once.

I probably have miscounted i thought there were 6. ANyways, the gas pipes are in good shape. both brake line are in the same state. i'm probably going to change both lines to save me the trouble of having to crawl under again. not to mention, deny accidents

Anyways, moey, if you get the time, i would appreciate it if you could give me some ideas on what you used to splice the brake pipes.
thanks!

lmrj0030 11-07-2011 07:41 PM

any help?

JimBlake 11-07-2011 08:16 PM

I had the rusty lines in a 95 Integra and I had the whole line replaced.

That car has a real tight clearance between the firewall, steering rack, & front crossmember. Needed to drop the crossmember & I don't have a lift, so I gave the job to a shop.

TexasHonda 11-08-2011 05:48 AM

You can purchase flare end tube unions at parts stores and rent the flaring tool to cut/flare the tube ends (after installing nuts). Doin this on the "in-place" end may be challenging.

good luck

moey 11-08-2011 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by lmrj0030 (Post 260409)
haha i know what you mean! I tried removing the whole pipe. I even unbolted and removed the brace that holds all 5 pipe lines and the second i tried to remove the pipe from the plastic holder thing above the brace, the pipe just snapped due to rust. So you're telling me that i should replace both lines and reconnect via master cylinder (brake fluid tank reservoir) cuz it's easier than replacing one? I know that there is only 1 pipe that goes down and somehow turns into 2 pipe

Im not really telling you anything :) Its hard to judge whats the best, if you have lots of time the honda break line that runs the whole length is probably the best option. A quicker option is running the line next to the old one and rerouting it. To make the connection you can use a flare fitting you need to rent some tools for this or you can use a could use a compression fitting. I have a compression fitting some people say they shouldn't be used though but they are used often when just replacing a section of break line.

Its not that costly of repair, it cost me $250 to have both lines done at a local break shop. I started down the path you were on only I didnt break the lines but I would have had I pulled a bit. It would have cost me $75 in equipment flare tools the line is pretty expensive if your not buying a huge roll of it.