Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   98 3.0 vtec locked up? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/98-3-0-vtec-locked-up-32941/)

chessman21 06-12-2010 11:41 PM

98 3.0 vtec locked up?

The wife was driving her accord and she said she herd a series of load pops from engine compartment and the engine shut off. I got the car towed home and now all i get is 1 click fromstarter ..I tested the baterry and battery is better than good. I tried jumping from a running v8 dodge ram in line with the good battery hoping for a little extra jolt but still only 1 click, and I can feel the starter engaging.. Fearing the worst I took enough bolts out of left timing cover and timing belt appears to be in place. Thinking maybe a valve droped and seized up the engine befor the belt had time to spin off??IS that possible? Cant see the belt to well but as i said,, it "appeared" to be on the pully. So I put the car in neutral, put a socket and breakerbar on crank nut behind wheel and I cant budge the crank at all eitherway... Should i be able to rock the crank a little if not turn over the engine with some muscle with the transmission in neutral?

kris_loehr 06-13-2010 02:38 AM

In neutral you should be able to turn the crank bolt.

chessman21 06-13-2010 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by kris_loehr (Post 206147)
In neutral you should be able to turn the crank bolt.

Well.. I cant..Whats the most likely cause?

kris_loehr 06-13-2010 02:06 PM

The valves hit the pistons after a failure from the timing system. I believe your vehicle has a belt.

chessman21 06-13-2010 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by kris_loehr (Post 206180)
The valves hit the pistons after a failure from the timing system. I believe your vehicle has a belt.

Yes it has a belt. If the valves hit the pistons what damage occurs? Is it just head damage usually or does it involve the block to?

kris_loehr 06-13-2010 04:09 PM

I don't know a lot about the 3.0. The four cylinders used to be all head damage but my 2003 took out the pistons and cams. I would think you would be able to get the engine to turn clockwise or counter clockwise a little with a timing belt failure until you are stopped by a valve. Did you try counter clockwise?

chessman21 06-13-2010 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by kris_loehr (Post 206184)
I don't know a lot about the 3.0. The four cylinders used to be all head damage but my 2003 took out the pistons and cams. I would think you would be able to get the engine to turn clockwise or counter clockwise a little with a timing belt failure until you are stopped by a valve. Did you try counter clockwise?

yea i tried it both ways.

JimBlake 06-13-2010 10:10 PM

Maybe pistons seized in cylinders? I had that happen on a 72 Datsun after blowing the oil hose to a gauge. Couple tablespoons of oil into each sparkplug hole & let it sit overnight. Then MAYBE(?) it'll move. My Datsun engine survived but I had to rebuild it.