Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   98 Accord Front Wheel Bearing Replacement (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/98-accord-front-wheel-bearing-replacement-25884/)

emcom 06-06-2009 11:06 PM

98 Accord Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

Need help on my 98 Accord!
I need to replace front wheel bearing.
Does anyone have a manual or instruction to remove and replace the bearing? I never have done it before.

I'd like to know how hard the job is. Is it worth to do it myself? Or just take it to mechanic?

I also like to know the bearing will come off easily from hub housing. Do I need a presser to remove and install new one into hub?

I would appreciate any response. Thank you

Fuse 06-06-2009 11:55 PM

Thy press in you need a press yes = hard to do.

Books at
www.hondatech.info and some other sites if you search hard.

makman 06-07-2009 02:18 AM

98 Accord Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

Unanswered questions | Most-recent questions |
Reference library ... How do you replace rear wheel bearing 1998 accord? How do
you replace a rear ... Is it easy to replace wheel bearing for honda accord 2000
----
yeah, thanks for that amazing insight. I removed the spam from your signature...

JimBlake 06-08-2009 06:44 AM

You can remove the steering knuckle, & take it to a shop for them to press out the bearing.

00AccordLX5spd 06-08-2009 10:02 AM

In other words: you cannot completely DIY yourself. You need a press to remove the hub.
Removing the steering knuckle is not too hard to DIY. It would save you some $ for labor. But you will need a punch to unstake the 56mm axle nut *Correction: 36mm*. Anyways it's not too easy to unstake that sucker. I thought I was going to ruin my axle nut when I did it. Plus you need a socket big enough to fit on there. I had to pay like $15 or $20 for one lousy socket.

JimBlake 06-08-2009 10:45 AM

I don't own a 56mm socket, so I don't think that's the right size (I used to own a 98 Accord). Maybe 32mm or 36mm?

Harbor Freight sells presses like you could use for this, but most DIY mechanics don't have one. So we just assume...

00AccordLX5spd 06-08-2009 11:11 AM

Dang...you're right,. It was 36mm. 56 would be huge haha! It's monday morning here in Mississippi.....

finch13 06-08-2009 11:13 AM

Yes, the axle nut is 36mm. I bought a wrench at Northern Tool (or Harbor Freight) for less than $10.

finch13 06-08-2009 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by 00AccordLX5spd (Post 174258)
In other words: you cannot completely DIY yourself. You need a press to remove the hub.
Removing the steering knuckle is not too hard to DIY. It would save you some $ for labor. But you will need a punch to unstake the 56mm axle nut *Correction: 36mm*. Anyways it's not too easy to unstake that sucker. I thought I was going to ruin my axle nut when I did it. Plus you need a socket big enough to fit on there. I had to pay like $15 or $20 for one lousy socket.

I've brought a hub to a shop to get bushings replaced and was charged $40 to install 2 bushings, I supplied the parts and it was a friends shop (I don't think I got a discount). I'd expect to pay at least $20 a corner to get the pressed out and in.