General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

86 Accord LX Main Relay

Old 10-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Mozi
Unregistered
Default 86 Accord LX Main Relay

Hi,
Ive been having problems with my fuel pump. Car ran intermittently when i purchased it and i got a new fuel pump but couldn't get any power back to the pump. I thought maybe it was the Fuel Pump Relay.. replaced it, didn't effect anything. Ive checked the fuses there all good. The car is carburated with an in tank electric pump which people ive been speakin to consider strange according to them fuel injected cars have electric pumps.. whatever im confused i don't know hondas well. Anywho, the usual clicks you hear when you turn the key (initalizing the pump etc)is non-existant.

so i thought maybe it was the main relay, problem is, I can't find the damn thing. I read that its under the dash driver side above the hood pulley deal. im not seeing it. All im seeing is the Mitsuba Retracter Control (the the lights i think?) and above that the Cruise control silver box.. I removed the Cruise box thinking maybe it would be under that hidden, no go.

help please someone, imstumped and frustrated. [:@][:@][:@][:@]

btw this is the Main Relay i was sold as a replacement

Old 10-29-2008, 12:49 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 86 Accord LX Main Relay

wow it has been a long while but .....first chk fuse # 1 under dash fuse box 15 amps..

If i am not mistaken
..86 accord lx ( carburator car) does not have a main relay , it has a fuel pump relay which is located in the fuse box ..I believe the back side of the fuse box, under dash driver side It has been quite a few years since i worked on one of those

also..accords have always had an electric fuel pump since the first year 1976 ,, it was in a different location ,,but it was electric,, starting in 1986 they put it in the tank

. the picture you got looks that of a main relay ,I do not think that it is the correct one for your car , if you bought it, take it back ..

I believe that the power wire going to the fuel pump is yellow ,, you need to chk for power there while someone attempts to start the car,, just turning the key on will not get power back there

if you get power at the yellow wire , and a good ground at the black wire ,and getting no fuel you got a bad fuel pump , totally plugged filters, or lots of junk in the tank ..

if you get no power, could be a bad fuel pump relay, fuse , or bad wiring ..

Old 10-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 86 Accord LX Main Relay

I found a site that has the mfr location on an 86, but I can not post it. If you pm me your email address, I will send you that link.