Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   99 Stalling/Erratic Idle (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/99-stalling-erratic-idle-31885/)

deters 04-23-2010 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 201919)
RPM dropping by 100 might be the torque converter locking up. Normal if that's it.

Honda auto trannys don't like to be "power-flushed". Drain & fill with Honda ATF.

It should only do it once per gear though right? This happens multiple times even at set speed with CC on. Is it really expensive to replace the TCC?

PAhonda 04-23-2010 04:01 PM

There were some design flaws in the 98-02 accord automatic transmissions, that caused them to fail. This may be the start of your problem. I think that an internal bearing would fall apart and start plugging the fluid passages.

Changing the transmission fluid using Honda ATF by draining ~3 quarts, then refill, (i should double check my posts) then drive for ~100 miles, repeat for a total of 3 drain/refills should exchange most of the original fluid and possible debris. If you find a lot of metal shavings, be prepared to have the transmission replaced or rebuilt.

I would also suggest cleaning out the shift and lockup solenoids that are on the transmission housing, because they can get plugged up over time. The gaskets for those solenoids have a screen that should be cleaned too.

JimBlake 04-23-2010 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 202028)
Changing the transmission fluid using Honda ATF by draining ~3 quarts, REFILLING then drive for ~100 miles, repeat ...

I hope that's what he means...
Don't drive 100 miles with the ATF 3-qt low.

Also the torque converter only locks up in 4th-gear when cruising. If you drive just the right speed it can lock / unlock / lock / over again. Kinda like you can drive at a constant (slower) speed where the transmission can't decide which gear it wants to be in.

rpowers2002 04-23-2010 09:45 PM

I posted something about my car doing this some time ago and didn't get any response. I'm guessing that I didn't make sense in the way I was describing it. Mine only does it once it is in 4th gear and is cruising between 30 and 48 mph. Kind of annoying since I had the transmission rebuilt and it wasn't doing it beforehand. BTW, my car is a 2002 with the 2.3 and has 113k miles. Most of those are highway too.. so go figure. Sadly I wish I still had my old 1992 Accord.. that thing was rock solid and the guy I sold it to still drives it.

JimBlake 04-25-2010 07:46 PM

Hunting between gears & locking TQC are 2 "features" that cause me to only buy manual transmissions.

I probably missed your other post, sometimes if I'm gone for several days, I don't get the opportunity to wade through ALL the posts that I've missed. Sorry.