Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   99 Vtech hot start problem (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/99-vtech-hot-start-problem-61534/)

schoust 05-02-2015 09:05 AM

99 Vtech hot start problem

Hey Guys I have a 99 Accord that has an intermittent hot start problem. I checked for Cels and none have been recorded. It only seems to happen after driving the car and the engine has warmed up. Engine is a 2.3 v.tech with a 5spd stick with 224k on the odom.
Thanks

poorman212 05-02-2015 09:57 AM

What exactly is the car doing when the issue happens?

schoust 05-02-2015 10:17 AM

It simply will not start. It cranks but no start. It appears to be a spark issue of some kind. After four or five cranks it will finally start. It one of those issues that will no doubt strand me!

poorman212 05-03-2015 05:18 AM

Ok, so the engine "turns" over but it will not "fire up" and run.

So it could be a spark or fuel issue, you will need to test before replacing parts.

Try getting into a habit of turning the key to "on" and listen for the fuel pump to run for ~3 seconds.

A spark tester can be had for less than $20.

schoust 05-03-2015 02:04 PM

Yea I'm aware of troubleshooting techniques. I just thought that there may be a specific problem that I might look for that is typical in this vintage Honda v-tech.
Thanks

poorman212 05-04-2015 06:01 PM

Too hard to call....not one thing I would jump to over the other.

schoust 05-12-2015 05:42 PM

Update: I get the call at 4:30 this afternoon Dad the car won't start! And the car is cold since it has been sitting all day. So I jump in my ride prepared for a no spark or no fuel situation. I pull the 1spark plug wire ground it out on the head and have my son turn it over. He tries three times and no spark? On the fourth time I her the engine pop and see a flash of light. Still the car won't start. So it's a spark issue for sure that I know. I began by pulling the distributor and examine the cap and rotor,they look worn but not worn out.
As I was examining the cap I find something strange. It appears to be loaded up at the bottom with flakes of aluminum?? I'm loosing my light so I clean up the rotor and all of those little aluminum chips which I did not see the spot from which it came from. I also checked the coil's primary & secondary resistance.All was well withen spec. So I put things back together the kid turns the key and it fires and runs perfectly. Anyone have a clue what happened here? I mean the cap and rotor are not that warn as to cause a No start issue.
Any ideas??

JimBlake 05-13-2015 08:35 AM

I take it the car made it home? Open the distributor cap again & look for more aluminum shavings. With good light, see if you can seen anyplace where there's evidence of rubbing or anything to indicate where the flakes came from.

Grab the distributor rotor & see if the distributor shaft is loose. Distributor shaft bearing has too much sloppy motion? You might need to unbolt the distributor from the engine to tell for sure.

I hesitate to say buy a new distributor body, but AFTER CHECKING you may find that's what you need. Unless you can convince yourself that it isn't going to continue grinding itself to bits.

schoust 05-16-2015 03:50 PM

Update: Ok well it happened again the car would not start. So my Son removed the cap wiped out the chips (which appear to have been the spark towers on the cap) then the car fired up? Well my Son made the decision to call the Boneyard and buy a new distributor complete. We then installed the used (new) unit with new O-ring and the car runs great!
However after doing the post Mortum I myself am not convinced that this is the issue.
It is my believe that this issue is not over yet..... Unfortunately unless this thing gives up the ghost completely we will have to keep looking. The changing of the distributer was a desperation deal simply because of the lack of time and th fact that the car is needed badly .....Alas Im thinking the next update will be coming soon.......