Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   ABS Light stays on occasionally (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/abs-light-stays-occasionally-44526/)

JayKay 12-18-2011 05:11 PM

ABS Light stays on occasionally

My 1997 Accord EX ABS light stays on occasionally. The "friends" at Honda tell me my modulator need replacing and that part costs $1200 which is probably worth more than the car.

Any suggestions (besides getting a new car :p)?

Thanks

JayKay

TexasHonda 12-18-2011 06:04 PM

Get ABS codes (same procedure as Check Engine codes but all short flashes w/ 2 digit codes, ffff-f = 4-1).

Get code and post for help. Modulators are < $50 used. Check ebay and car-part.com.

good luck

JayKay 12-18-2011 10:23 PM

I don't have an OBD scanner.

Is there another way to get the codes? Recommend a reasonably priced one?

I heard some Autozones will read codes for free...maybe I'll call them.

Thanks in advance.

JayKay

PAhonda 12-19-2011 12:20 AM

All you need is a paperclip or a thin piece of wire. On your 97 you can still check for codes the OBD1 way. Open the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum and open the link to checking engine codes. Count the ABS light flashes like TexasHonda posted earlier.

UhOh 12-19-2011 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by JayKay (Post 264158)
My 1997 Accord EX ABS light stays on occasionally...
Any suggestions (besides getting a new car :p)?

You have my permission to either:
1) let it glow, or
2) to cover it up with a tab of black electricians tape.

TexasHonda 12-19-2011 07:36 AM

ABS on 94-97 is easily repairable at reasonable cost, but you need the code first. Note, OBD2 will not provide ABS codes in any case, so manual procedure is essential unless you have a Honda Diagnostic System.

good luck

JayKay 12-19-2011 10:42 AM

Thanks for the code list in the DIY section. I beleive the Honda guy showed me a 1-8 for the ABS light when I was there last.

I couldn't locate where the papeclip/wire jumper is installed...please advise

Thanks
JayKay

TexasHonda 12-19-2011 11:49 AM

A blue 2-wire (grn/blu & red) that should be plugged into a plastic holder w/ other connectors. Pinch and release to access.

Code 1-8 does indicate a modulator problem. It might be repairable, but it will be cheaper to find a used working modulator. Looks like $30 is best price you'll see and you may have to order by mail (car-part.com).

You should confirm code first to be certain.

good luck

JayKay 12-19-2011 09:55 PM

Where is that connector located? Is it C454 2 wire BLUE just below glove compartment on right side .. near kick panel? I have the serice manual and, if I found the right one, its called SERVICE CHECK CONNECOR.

Thanks
JayKay

PAhonda 12-19-2011 11:55 PM

On your car, it is plugged into a dummy socket near the hinge for the glove box. Your car will only have that two pin connector under the glove box.