Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   AC Blowing Hot on Driver Side (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/ac-blowing-hot-driver-side-66430/)

mortuzahasan 01-13-2019 04:09 PM

AC Blowing Hot on Driver Side

Hi,
Car is
Honda Accord Euro 2006 Lux (Australia), Dual zone climate control
Car AC is blowing hot air on driver side but cold air on passenger side, i did regas couple of weeks ago. the mechanic didnt do any vacuum test but put the gauge on and told me the system is fine. i drove couple of days and found driver side is throwing hot air when i turn on the AC and after significant drive this side throwing seems like blend of hot and cold. but from yesterday, passenger side is not throwing cold air as it did after i recharge the system. i couldn't see any visible leak as the mechanic put dye during recharge. the AC gas level indicator (the small glass in the pressure line) showing mist and no actual liquid flow is visible when AC is on. i did some research and people said it could be the temperature actuator, is there any way to test the actuator without removing it? what could go wrong?
does anyone can enlighten me what should be the presure on high and low side? please help.

PAhonda 01-13-2019 04:55 PM

Please, never add R-134a to an a/c system without measuring pressures, because this is dangerous. You can overcharge the system, and this can complicate diagnosing the problem.

My recommendation is to have a shop evacuate the R-134a, verify the system holds vacuum, then properly charge with the correct amount of R-134a..

After your a/c system is charged, the high and low pressures to see how the a/c system is preforming.

The next step is to determine what is causing the driver's side to have no cold air. You may want to check if the cold/hot blend door is working when you make the temperature adjustment.

mortuzahasan 01-13-2019 05:46 PM

Thanks for your input PAhonda!
for a generic shop, would they know about the correct pressure for Honda or is it same for any make/model?
would a low charge on A/C damages any component like compressor/condenser or any?
i was reading some similar problem and someone pointed out about expansion valve, which is a labor intensive job
where to find blend door function if it is causing problem...
apologies for asking too many questions

The Toecutter 01-14-2019 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 383779)
The next step is to determine what is causing the driver's side to have no cold air. You may want to check if the cold/hot blend door is working when you make the temperature adjustment.

If it was working before, I'd check the blend door motor for the right side, and maybe all of them. I've got an 06 Chevy pick up with dual climate controls, and every now and then the left side will throw warm air out, while the passenger side is blowing cold. Shut it off, restart the truck, and it'll go back to blowing cold air on both sides.

mortuzahasan 01-18-2019 07:58 PM

Gutted here!
took the car to ac shop, they told me previous mechanic(when i recharge ac system couple of weeks ago) put LPG instead of Freon. He said the car is too dangerous to drive and i need to replace condenser dryer, as the dryer is attached with condenser i need to replace full set, compressor may be gone as well. But the system is still working with LPG inside. What should i do? Do i need to replace them? How to do system flush without replacing parts?

Seanjordan20 01-18-2019 09:27 PM

First off if you paid for it take it back and let them change the parts free of charge. Sadly flushing a system is a thing of the past. Condensers are made where the passages are too tiny to do an effective flush. You will have to replace the condenser and compressor. I understand in the location your are at why they would have R600a laying around but there is no excuse for accidentally filling a car with it.

As of now it could be considered dangerous if you are not use to being around it. I don't know the temp there currently but the colder it is the the more dangerous it is in a R134a system. If it's getting as low as 65 degrees Fahrenheit you need to evacuate immediately.

mortuzahasan 01-19-2019 06:38 AM

Thanks heaps for your guidance. Actually i am unable to claim anything because he was a mobile mechanic not a shop. He switched off his phone. Condenser will change but why compressor? Because the system still works although cooling is not great. Actually on the first day of recharge cooling was great but since then it’s getting worse. I should have notice that the glass window on the high pressure channel there was no Freon flow(usually geenish liquid flow?) but in this case it was like mist. Please advise if the compressor is a must?

Seanjordan20 01-19-2019 01:36 PM

On the high side you were looking at it in gas form. Right now your LPG is operating at a higher temp which is bad for the system. You can try but I would not advise it. Most of the time the whole system has to be replaced even the evaporator. The longer it stays in the more damage it does.

PAhonda 01-19-2019 09:21 PM

With the current situation, we can't tell you what is wrong with the system. I'm not even sure how the previous shop knew the mobile mechanic put in lpg.

Ask the shop if they would evacuate the system of both R134a and LPG (R600a). Ask them to pull a vacuum on your system and verify your current a/c system can hold vacuum, so you are sure you have no leaks. You would have to repair any leaks in the system.

Ask them to charge the system with R134a and check the pressures on the system. That is the only way you will know what (if anything) you need to replace.

mortuzahasan 01-20-2019 02:56 AM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hon...248bf1689.jpeg
I had the same feeling the current shop who told the system got lpg may not be right. They tried to pull down the valve in service port and smelled it. I personally think the system was low on refrigerator oil and looked very dry. This morning I evacuated the system and it had little gas left which smelled like freon. I strongly believe the system got a leak somewhere, moreover rhe shop told me to replace the condenser its 4 hours job. I googled the shop manual and looks like its fairly easy if front bumper comes off. I dont want to go through removing radiator. I have decided to replace the condenser myself. I did replace full ac system with my previous car honda 1996. I still remember the great help that time from all forum member specially TexasHonda
i found a thread where a picture was posted to remove the front covers. Could anyone please advise me what sort of tools required to remove those clips ans hooks. I pryed one hook and broke it. Thanks guys for your kind help.