General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

393,000 km and counting... suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Default 393,000 km and counting... suggestions

My 91 accord ex 5 speed has 393,000 km's on it. It was taken great care of and had everything done by its first owner, the second just did the basic oil change and brakes. I had a new muffler put on, changed the ball joints, and new spark plugs, air filter and of course oil change.

I was thinking of doing the following

Valve Cover Gasket, Spark Plug Seals (currently leaking)
Fuel Filter
PCV valve
Tranny Fluid
Valve Adjustment

Is there anything else i should do? I don't wan't to put thousands into it in case it dies tomorrow, but i want to get as much out of it as i can, right now it runs great, starts fine. Any ideas

Old 01-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Default RE: 393,000 km and counting... suggestions

If you have no evidence of the timing belt having being changed within the last 100,000km then do that first, you don't want to find out what will happen if it breaks. The change interval for the timing belt (and balance shaft belt too) is 100,000km so if it's getting close to this it will need to be replaced soon. It's a bugger of a job but you can do it yourself if you're reasonably skilled home mechanic, but if not then it will probably be a little pricey to have done professionally, which is no excuse to not do it, if it breaks it will be a lot more expensive!! Don't start without first finding instructions on how to, I'd guess there might be some on this site somewhere?

Next, change the brake fluid if it hasn't been done reasonably recently (improbable, most people don't bother, but they should as old brake fluid can boil if it gets hot, and then the brakes don't work). Old fluid may allow (cause) internal hydraulic system corrosion that can lead to failure. While you're at it check the brake pad thickness, nice to know how much pad is left and whether or not youhave to start thinking about them soon.

Clutch fluid too, but of course if the clutch fails to disengage because the hydraulics die it's only an inconvenience.

G/box oil would possibly need changing by now (unless done reasonanbly recently, say within 100,000km). G/box oil should be the Honda stuff for g/boxes, or I've got the Motul synthetic gear oil that seems to work well and resulted in a noticably slicker shift.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to change the power steering fluid, what's in there now is not unlikely to be the original factory fill.

A general check over of all suspension bolts (and bushes etc) isn't a bad idea, I've found some quite loose on a couple of second hand cars. Brake caliper bolts too, I had one old car where I found one little more than finger tight.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

spark plug wires
dizzy cap & rotor
Seafoam
radiator hoses

Old 01-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Almost 400,000 km, you & previous owners must be doing SOMETHING right...

Everything mentioned so far is good stuff to do. My personal feeling is you should check the body carefully for corrosion. Use THAT as a basis to judge how many years you want to go before your feet go through the floor. If it wasn't for RUST, you could continue fixing the mechanical stuff almost forever.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:58 PM

Body looks great, only rust spots are surface rust on hood and its pitted over the front wheel fenders. But i plan on sanding it down, some bondo and primer and painting the area to stop it from spreading.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The horizontal stablizer (anti-sway bar) bushings may be worn. I had this on my 90Ex and would cause a clunk when hitting a bump while turning. Easy diy job to replace all the bushings.

good luck