General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Headlight Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 03:40 AM
Fastxpl
Unregistered
Default HID Headlight Bulbs

Hey, I'm new to the Honda Forum. My wife came home with a burnt out headlight on her 02 Accord V6. I did a search for HID but didn't find anything that answered my questions so I thought I would post and see if anyone has any input.

I bought a set of HID (Blue) bulbs for my Suburban a year or so ago but never installed them. When she got home this evening, I pulled the burnt one out and compaired it to the Burb bulb. They look exactly the same so I put it in and tried it. Works fine but I noticed the wattage on the HID is quite a bit more than the stock one that came out, not to mention the color of the light. I replaced both fronts for now with the HID while I do some investagiting to see if anyone is using the HID bulbs and what their results have been. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Default RE: HID Headlight Bulbs

One thing is certain, make sure that the cables/wires that supply power to the light are able to handle the extra current.

If they draw extra power the cables you use now may fail (fire).

I know that auto-part stores have high-current cables you can use, but I would try to investigate your components first to make sure everything is safe.

StevePhy

Old 08-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yea those high wattage "hid" bulbs are crap. they can damage the wiring, and they usually go out much faster than the stocks because of the extra heat. you should look into getting a real hid system if you want the ultimate.

otherwise you should stick with sylvania. the cool blues work well and dont have as much of that yellow look, and the silverstars are their top of the line bulb. with a real hid system the lights will look a lot better. a mccollough 6000k kit is what i would recommend cause i have used it before, and if the car has the fogs put a meccatune red sun 14000K kit down there. i think thats the most extreme lighting system i can think of right now.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Hello New member..Looks like the folks here in the forum have given you there fair share of information already, theyre good arent they

So [sm=smiley20.gif] welcome to your home on the web..Thanks For Joining:

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 08-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Fastxpl
Unregistered

Thanks for the input. I tried to figure out how much over current the wire could carry from stock but without the length of the harness, best to stick with stock. I'll head down to Pep Boys and get the Sylvania silverstars.

BTW, I emailed the seller of those ebay HID's and asked about the wattage difference, they said to change the fuse to a higher one. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that's asking for trouble....[sm=badidea.gif]