General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 sudden front driver wheel problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Default 1996 sudden front driver wheel problem

Just did a 800+ mile trip in my Honda (manual trns, 4 cylinder). On the way back home something happened that caused a distinct vibration in the car and steering wheel. I figured I lost a weight or something so I slowed a bit to see if I could feel any issue and nothing more than the sudden start of the vibration.

So I get into town and really slow down to stop at a red light and I have a serious pulsing pulling on the steering wheel. It is worse when not under power (coasting) or using the brakes (brakes are nearly new). I can hear some grinding at times and this pulsing will, with force, turn the steering wheel and wobble the entire car. I pulled the car in the driveway (over a rounded curb) and while turning the wheel it grinded again while wobbling the entire car and steering wheel. I pulled the driver front wheel and rotated it (passenger still on ground) and the wheel turns for about a 1/2 rotation then hangs up and I can see it is trying to pull on the steering rack or something. Like it is trying to turn the wheel. Just spinning the wheel should not do this right? I put the car back down and raised the passenger front end and that wheel spun completely freely.

Anyone have a possible issue this could be? The transaxle fubar? something else maybe? I really appreciate it.

1996 Accord sedan 4 cylinder MT

Last edited by tsefreeflow; 11-15-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:54 PM

Sounds like it may be a bad axle BUT you will have to do some more checking first. Jack the car up so the bad wheel is of the ground. Make sure to support the car with a jack stand. Grab the wheel at 10 and 4. Try rocking the wheel hard and feel for any movements. You should feel no to very very faint movement. This will also help check suspension components but the main reason at this point is to determine the condition of your wheel bearing to see if it bad. You can also recheck the axle by spinning the wheel.put the E brake on put it in neutral first.

Last edited by Dakotademon7; 11-15-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:03 PM

Thanks. I did that while jacked up earlier. There is zero movement in the wheel trying to rock it like that. I had the e brake off and in neutral and the driver wheel spun free for a half turn or so then stopped. Is this normal? The passenger tire was on the ground. When I did the passenger side with the drivers on the ground, it spun freely forever.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Almost A Senior Member

sounds like a bad wheel bearing to me.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:49 PM

Did you turn the bad wheel in both directions ? If so, did it stop in about the same amount of rotation ?

Old 11-15-2014, 07:49 PM

While spinning there is no grinding from the bearing as well as no play.
Just need to clarify, is it normal for the driver wheel, when off the ground, to only spin for about a half rotation then stop (for some reason) while the car is in neutral? The passenger wheel is on the ground during this.
On the opposite (passenger wheel off the ground, and driver on the ground), the passenger will spin completely free.
Thanks
I have found no reference to any axle issues anywhere other than a popping sound. Nothing like what mine is doing. Appreciate all your help.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

I would also look for something wrong with the axle.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:53 PM

It should spin with no problem.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:09 PM

So just to update, I took the car in to the shop this morning. When I pulled out of the driveway (very slowly) going to ninja my way to the shop, something popped while backing and turning. So I started to go slowly forward and everything was cured. That pop took away all of the symptoms. I get to the shop to have them look it over (figuring it was the axle), they showed me the axle was the culprit. $408 for that fix and new rear struts as well for a grand total of $750'ish. Yay! At least my wheel did not fall off with my puppies in the car yesterday doing 90'ish back home.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by tsefreeflow
So just to update, I took the car in to the shop this morning. When I pulled out of the driveway (very slowly) going to ninja my way to the shop, something popped while backing and turning. So I started to go slowly forward and everything was cured. That pop took away all of the symptoms. I get to the shop to have them look it over (figuring it was the axle), they showed me the axle was the culprit. $408 for that fix and new rear struts as well for a grand total of $750'ish. Yay! At least my wheel did not fall off with my puppies in the car yesterday doing 90'ish back home.
Glad you got it fixed. I was thinking it could be the axle after you Said you had no play in the wheel when checking.

Quick Reply: 1996 sudden front driver wheel problem