Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Advice for 08 Honda Accord Oil Consumption > Timing Chain & Low Compression (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/advice-08-honda-accord-oil-consumption-timing-chain-low-compression-66270/)

08HondaAccord 11-13-2018 04:36 PM

Advice for 08 Honda Accord Oil Consumption > Timing Chain & Low Compression

I could use your advice about my Accord.
  1. Car won’t start
  2. Leaking oil
  3. Timing marks off
  4. Variable valve timing gear out of position
  5. #3 cylinder low compression (other cylinders are fine)
I think what started this mess was sticking piston rings and high oil consumption - a known/recall issue with this model. Mechanic recommends swapping out the engine ($3500), but I’m concerned the 08 Honda replacement engine (70k Miles) without recall updates could burn oil just like mine did. I want to fix and sell the car at this point - what should I do?

A little backstory. The car was bought new and has 85k miles with oil changes every 3k miles. Last oil change at Honda showed low and dirty oil but they didn’t mention the recall which expired after 10 years. I drove it 2k miles since then and the engine started to ping. P0341 Camshaft position incorrect phase detect. I took it to my mechanic right away and he refilled 3qt oil and reset the codes. After 3 miles of driving the light came back on and I went back to shop. P0341 & P1009 variable valve timing, and the car wouldn’t start.

It is at an independent Honda mechanic now. Honda claims they can help despite warranty expiration but I’m doubtful. They want 5 years of oil change records. What would you do?

08HondaAccord 11-13-2018 04:48 PM

Would it be crazy/expensive/risky to replace the valve, gear and timing chain, and fix the recall issues - pistons, piston rings, cylinder liners, and spark plugs? Should I replace the engine? Or is there a plan C?

thanks!

shipo 11-13-2018 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by 08HondaAccord (Post 383022)
I could use your advice about my Accord.
  1. Car won’t start
  2. Leaking oil
  3. Timing marks off
  4. Variable valve timing gear out of position
  5. #3 cylinder low compression (other cylinders are fine)
I think what started this mess was sticking piston rings and high oil consumption - a known/recall issue with this model. Mechanic recommends swapping out the engine ($3500), but I’m concerned the 08 Honda replacement engine (70k Miles) without recall updates could burn oil just like mine did. I want to fix and sell the car at this point - what should I do?

A little backstory. The car was bought new and has 85k miles with oil changes every 3k miles. Last oil change at Honda showed low and dirty oil but they didn’t mention the recall which expired after 10 years. I drove it 2k miles since then and the engine started to ping. P0341 Camshaft position incorrect phase detect. I took it to my mechanic right away and he refilled 3qt oil and reset the codes. After 3 miles of driving the light came back on and I went back to shop. P0341 & P1009 variable valve timing, and the car wouldn’t start.

It is at an independent Honda mechanic now. Honda claims they can help despite warranty expiration but I’m doubtful. They want 5 years of oil change records. What would you do?

I assume you have a 4-cylinder engine as opposed to a V6 based upon your comment about a timing chain. Please confirm.

As for what to do, take it to a Honda dealership and initiate an oil consumption test. If the car consumes oil at a rate over a certain threshold, they will rebuild the engine as necessary.

08HondaAccord 11-13-2018 06:25 PM

Thanks for the reply, shipo. Yes, it is a 4-cylinder engine. I just got 5 years of oil change records from my shop for the dealership. Sure enough, the car had dirty oil, low on arrival after 2k miles over the last few changes. The dealership last changed my oil when I went in for the airbag recall and they weren't concerned about low/dirty oil.

If Honda confirms the high oil consumption, do you think it will cost less than $3500 to rebuild the engine?

Thanks again!

shipo 11-13-2018 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by 08HondaAccord (Post 383025)
Thanks for the reply, shipo. Yes, it is a 4-cylinder engine. I just got 5 years of oil change records from my shop for the dealership. Sure enough, the car had dirty oil, low on arrival after 2k miles over the last few changes. The dealership last changed my oil when I went in for the airbag recall and they weren't concerned about low/dirty oil.

If Honda confirms the high oil consumption, do you think it will cost less than $3500 to rebuild the engine?

Thanks again!

A co-worker of mine just had his engine rebuilt free of charge; same vintage of Accord as yours.

08HondaAccord 11-13-2018 07:24 PM

OK, I will follow up when I hear back from Honda.

08HondaAccord 12-05-2018 01:50 PM

Update! Here's what I heard from the Assistant Service Manager at Honda San Francisco: "Honda originally offered 30% cost to help replace the motor when you and I last talked. These service records should help. I just sent them over and waiting to hear from them."

He sent records to his Honda America rep, confirming the high oil consumption and oil changes within 5,000 miles or less dating back to 2012. Also, the most recent oil change was done at Honda SF less than 2,000 miles before this 3qt top-off, timing marks off, VVT failure, no start, P0341, P1009, low compression fiasco.

Here's the follow up message from Honda SF: "Yes. Honda has gotten back to me. They have declined any assistance in helping to repair the car."

Help me, Honda.

08HondaAccord 12-05-2018 02:11 PM

See quote from SF Honda for parts & labor below. Spoiler alert: the 30% discount would've taken this down from $11,000 to $7,700.

"Honda does not have full engine replacements. It really depends on what needs to get replaced. The have the short block with is the lower half of the motor and then the cylinder head needs to get replaced. Just parts alone if about $7000.00. That does not include labor. Labor is another $4000.00 The other option is to see about getting a used motor. Problem with that is no one will know if that motor has an oil consumption issue also. Would be a cheaper way of getting the car to run. Most of the used engine will have a warranty for both parts and labor."

shipo 12-05-2018 02:48 PM

I'm stunned that was their response. The dealership here took care of my co-worker (partially rebuilt the engine), pretty much no questions asked.

shipo 12-05-2018 02:53 PM

If Honda is going to be of no help, I would start looking for one of the following:
  • A good engine rebuilder to do your engine
  • A good rebuilt engine from a reputable source like Jasper
  • A used JDM engine (not sure if this is really a good option; the Japanese engines may well have had the same issues; further research on this option may be in order).