Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   ATF-Z1 Question (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/atf-z1-question-42452/)

dragonle87 08-28-2011 07:15 PM

ATF-Z1 Question

I've a question....Honda ATF-Z1 is quite pricey & wonder if there are any other ATF out there that exceeds or meets ATF-Z1 requirements?

redbull-1 08-28-2011 07:19 PM

Honda ATF-DW1. It essentially replaced Z1 and is synthetic.

bpp 08-28-2011 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1 (Post 252694)
Honda ATF-DW1. It essentially replaced Z1 and is synthetic.

Yep, I found that out today. Carquest actually carriers Honda ATF-DW1 (they used to carry Z1). I think I paid $7.71 a quart, which is not that cheap but still cheaper then dealers near me. Their price for Z1 was a bit more competitive.

dragonle87 08-30-2011 11:29 PM

What about Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle? it meet the requirements for ATF-Z1...
This is for a 2002 Honda CRV

MessAround 08-31-2011 02:26 AM

I've heard rumors here and there that Castol Import would work or that Amsoil ATF would work.

People said they noticed improved shifting and then others said the improved shifting was likely the transmission working differently which would lead to wear and damage.

So I think the only safe course is to go with Honda, period. Everything else is mired in bitter arguments.

Then with Honda there's an argument about whether DW-1 is backwards compatible with Z1. I haven't found an answer so far although some people say Honda said so while others say there is no service bulletin.

It's just that where I live it's a god damn stealership. They charge $10.00 for a bottle of PS fluid I bought for $3.00 at an RI dealership online. They overcharge EVERYTHING. The ATF-Z1 is also $10.00 for a bottle that costs roughly $6.00 online. I can never go to my local dealership because they'll gouge me no matter what. This made me consider alternative ATF because I didn't want to buy online and pay shipping nor did I want to go stealership route but I don't think I have a choice but to go Honda so I'll have to buy a case online or something.

dragonle87 08-31-2011 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by MessAround (Post 253069)
I've heard rumors here and there that Castol Import would work or that Amsoil ATF would work.

People said they noticed improved shifting and then others said the improved shifting was likely the transmission working differently which would lead to wear and damage.

So I think the only safe course is to go with Honda, period. Everything else is mired in bitter arguments.

Then with Honda there's an argument about whether DW-1 is backwards compatible with Z1. I haven't found an answer so far although some people say Honda said so while others say there is no service bulletin.

It's just that where I live it's a god damn stealership. They charge $10.00 for a bottle of PS fluid I bought for $3.00 at an RI dealership online. They overcharge EVERYTHING. The ATF-Z1 is also $10.00 for a bottle that costs roughly $6.00 online. I can never go to my local dealership because they'll gouge me no matter what. This made me consider alternative ATF because I didn't want to buy online and pay shipping nor did I want to go stealership route but I don't think I have a choice but to go Honda so I'll have to buy a case online or something.

Where did you get ATF-Z1?

MessAround 08-31-2011 10:07 AM

Check eBay sellers. I bought a case of 12 quarts (since this car never had the fluid changed I have to do it more than once). It came out to roughly $70.00 of which $50.00 was the cost for the actual fluid, not shipping.

If you divide 12 quarts amongst the total $70.00 it comes out to about $5.83 a quart.

On eBay I found that DW-1 was not as cheap, less quarts for more than $70.00. Since the whole issue with DW-1 and Z1 is dicey, I went with the Z1 because it's guaranteed to work where as the DW-1 is dicey.

dragonle87 08-31-2011 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by MessAround (Post 253111)
Check eBay sellers. I bought a case of 12 quarts (since this car never had the fluid changed I have to do it more than once). It came out to roughly $70.00 of which $50.00 was the cost for the actual fluid, not shipping.

If you divide 12 quarts amongst the total $70.00 it comes out to about $5.83 a quart.

On eBay I found that DW-1 was not as cheap, less quarts for more than $70.00. Since the whole issue with DW-1 and Z1 is dicey, I went with the Z1 because it's guaranteed to work where as the DW-1 is dicey.

i figure it would be on ebay lol
Thought there was a dedicated Honda online part that would sell it for a cheaper price.
hmmm....dealer or ebay lol
I guess whatever works

g22cd5 08-31-2011 06:47 PM

from personal experience Honda ATF ONLY! I know it's pricy but you don't have to do drain and fills all that often.