General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Default Fuel pump question

I have removed the fuel pump and fuel sending unit from the gas tank on my 1989 Accord LXi sedan. The inside of the tank, the pump gauge sending and the fuel sending unit are all rusted pretty bad. the fuel pump seems to spin fine when connectid to a 12 v (not fused) but I haven't put any fluid through it.
Original problem was car runs out of gas when tank is still half full.
A loud noise behind drivers seat in floor board
Fuel gauge level very eradic.

I figure I'll change the fuel gauge sending unit. Any suggestions about replacing the tank, fuel sending unit or pump.
"Thanks"

Old 08-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I probably would. I think that rust indicates that water entered the fuel system. I wouldn't want more rust particles entering my new fuel pump. Just my opinion.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Default Fuel pump

Originally Posted by HondaAccord93
I probably would. I think that rust indicates that water entered the fuel system. I wouldn't want more rust particles entering my new fuel pump. Just my opinion.
Thanks for your help I'm going to purchase a new fuel tank.
I took the old fuel pump out, attached it to power and ran some water through it to see if it worked. It seemed to work fine but I only ran it for about 10 seconds. Do you think I damaged it by running water through it?
Thanks

Old 01-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Running water through it won't damage it.

Leaving it sit on the workbench for 10 minutes with residual water inside WILL be a problem. Rinse it out good with gasoline right away.

Not sure about Honda pumps, but I had another pump that I couldn't re-install because all the rubber mounting bushings had shrunk. I had to soak them in gasoline so they swell up then they fit.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Default Fuel Pump

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Running water through it won't damage it.

Leaving it sit on the workbench for 10 minutes with residual water inside WILL be a problem. Rinse it out good with gasoline right away.

Not sure about Honda pumps, but I had another pump that I couldn't re-install because all the rubber mounting bushings had shrunk. I had to soak them in gasoline so they swell up then they fit.
Thanks for the help.
I didn't get back to the pump for quite some time so the minutes have turned into days.
Probably be better to purchase a new one at this point????

Old 01-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

I don't really know - it's a corrosion issue. You could try hooking up 12v to the pump to see whether it operates smoothly. Not sure if you can reach inside & spin it without power.