General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Milky radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Default Milky radiator

I have a 94 Accord with a 4 cyl. and automatic tranny..I have noticed the radiator and overflow bottle have a milky looking mess in them..The car runs great and the oil is clean..No missing, smoke or tranny slipping yet..
I am trying to figure out what this is, a mechanic said the trans cooler could be leaking and mixing with the coolant (so I got the radiator checked and they said its fine)..I'm worried it could be the head gasket, but no tell-tell signs (bad running, milky oil,...I have read its possible though..What else can cause this if not the head gasket or tranny cooler leaking..Any help will be greatly appreciated..I'm not afraid if it is a major fix, just want it repaired and not just throw parts at it..

Old 08-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Default Anybody?

Anybody have any thoughts, sure would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Have you taken a look at the dipstick for the automatic transmission?

Old 08-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Default Yeah

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Have you taken a look at the dipstick for the automatic transmission?
Yes I looked at that but it doesn't appear milky? Any thoughts on how it should look, as I was worried about coolant in the tranny fluid?..Thanks for the response

Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

This is a tough call.

I would clean out the overflow. Add new coolant. Then keep an eye on it. I'd probably change the engine oil and transmission fluid as well.

Maybe take off the oil cap and see if there is any milky stuff on the bottom side of the oil cap.

To be sure the head gasket is ok, a block tester or a leakdown test would give you some information.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I had that happen on a 1995 Accord and it was the hose in the overflow bottle that looked like it was melting. I changed the hose and did a flush.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
I had that happen on a 1995 Accord and it was the hose in the overflow bottle that looked like it was melting. I changed the hose and did a flush.
There is someone I haven't seen in a long time

Old 08-31-2013, 08:35 AM

do a compression tester, they are cheap, but you will need a long tester end to seat in the spark plughole. I think it is the head gasket too. When water and oil mix, it becomes white.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:54 PM

I really appreciate all your guys help..I'm tempted to throw in the towel and just replace the head gasket..Car runs great, no smoke, no water in oil, but after a week or so of driving the coolant gets milky..I seen a head gasket set at 1A AUTO for $54.95..Any thoughts as they say its a multi layered set..From what I have read these were the suggested style of gasket..I will be getting the head checked and resurfaced also..I've read that 3 test will confirm if its a bad head gasket..1 milky oil/cap, 2 pop radiator cap and run the car coolant should bubble out..3 compression test and 2 cylinders should reveal 0 psi..I have done 1 and 2 and both past..I will be doing the compression test but sorta worried its gonna pass it also due to the car running great..If this is the case, what else could be causing this..Another note also is my oil level remains the same..I do add a little coolant every time I check (weekly)..Doesn't lose a lot but eventually a hose will burst and cause great leakage..So it also appears my coolant system is under added pressure (if that makes sense at all)..Kinda sad as I am a old school shade tree mechanic and always just knew when the head gasket was blown..Bad running, smoking, milky oil..Of course these were the old steel block chevy's, Ford, Dodge..Kinda stumped a old guy with this 1..lol

Old 09-01-2013, 07:36 AM

If you decide to change the gasket, make sure there isn't a cracked head. A compression will show this if two cylinders next to each other have lower compression. I have had this problem in the past too, but not on a Honda. Good luck.