General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some advice on my first VTEC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Default Some advice on my first VTEC?

My 01 Accord 2.3L VTEC is my 4th Honda but my first VTEC. All my research before buying lead me to believe that I would feel / notice a surge in power once the VTEC cam lobes kick in. I have to say, that I don't really notice any difference at all. In fact I am dissapointed in the power that this car has on the highway. I still have my '93 Accord coupe 5 speed and drove it today...and it has more power on the highway...with 20 less HP. I realize that the 01 is bigger and heavier (4 door) but shouldn't it be a little more lively? Anyone have any comments? I realize that it would be pretty tough to comment without driving the car of course.

Thank you.
Regards,
Mark

Old 12-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Default RE: Some advice on my first VTEC?

From my experience with the newer vtec setups they have made it a smoother transition when it kicks in. I noticed it more on my 94 than I have on the newer cars. I think it's just a transition to make things a little smoother and in some ways it probably helps the transmission a little. The 01 will feel like it has a little less power because of the reduced noise and improved ride but I would be willing to bet that if you timed it compared to the 93 it would be faster.

Keep in mind that I am making these comments without knowing what motors you have in the 93/01 and speaking purely on an average basis.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:27 AM

Thanks Nasty. You're absolutely right about the ride and quietness of the 01. My 92 (2L fuel injected 16 valve) seems to have more torque...if I punch it in 5th gear at 100k (around 2200 RPM) it accelerates smartly without downshifting...my 01 accelerates much slower at the lower RPMs.

Mark

Old 12-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Different cars, different motors, different power bands. It's SOHC, you're not gonna feel much of a kick.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:31 PM

VTEC operates off of oil pressure, I have seen it kick in anywhere from 3000 to 5500 RPM, your oil must be full and the viscosity must be good, there are a few parts involved on the outside of the engine and a screen filter on the VTEC valve.

http://www.g-speed.com/pbh/ae-honda-tech.html

A little info here.

http://asia.vtec.net/

and here.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:34 PM

Try putting the car in D3, you'll see it'll actually rev closer to 6 or 7.

Also, if you'd like a bit more torque for the highway, consider an air intake and possibly an exhaust.

I surely noticed a difference, and can absolutely hear it when she gets louder around 4k? (i never actually look cuz i keep my eyes on the road, but i've scared ppl with the sound before and it's hilarious)

Check out this vid i found on youtube that's a good indicator; you hear it kinda bark at the beginning. it sounds like his engine is cold though, it gets grumblier and louder once the entire engine and tranny heat up, and when driving it's louder and longer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEWWVEkUw6E

Old 12-08-2007, 12:40 PM

2Point...thanks for pointing out that the VTEC operates off oil pressure...this I did not realize. My oil is always topped up, but I am using full synthetic 5w30 due to cold temps. Any chance that this might affect VTEC operation?

Regards,
Mark

Old 12-08-2007, 12:48 PM

That should be ok, many folks are using oil weight that is thinner than what the book calls for with no problems. This may even be the weight for your car??? Any repair manual will explain the diagnosis for the VTEC, for the most part, its a simple setup.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:57 PM

the vtec system is very sensitive to oil level. it will set a p1259(checkengine light ON)the second the computer commands vtec operation and oil pressure isn't at the vtec oil pressure switch. you need to be 2-3qts low on oil for this to happen. a plugged oil passageleaking to the vtec oil pressure switch and vtec solenoid will immediately code p1259.

the tranny is also different. when i plan on making a nice tight manuver at 70mph+ i always shift to D3(this is my accord v6 too). my pcm loves to keep it in overdrive far too long.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:45 PM

How good/bad is it to run in D3 on the highway for sustained time?

I will use D3(or go from 1-D3 if i really wanted to) and will stay in D3 for a bit until i'm situated in my lane and then switch to D[4].

never really left it in too long at those speeds, but was just curious on the wear/tear of the situation...

Quick Reply: Some advice on my first VTEC?