General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need help with reving motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Unhappy need help with reving motor

hey im dave new to this site but like 4th or 5th honda but i got a 94 accord ex 5 speed 2.2 sohc vtec on start up it revs to 2500 till warm the it revs from 1000 to 1500 up and down non stop when going at speed and clutch pushed in it sits at 1000 and when stopped the surging continues i know alot of people are gonna say the iac motor but i changed it and the thermal valve changed with working one cleanded it and screwed in the valve all the way down changed the map sensor took off and cleaned throttle body with a tooth brush (came out really nice) bled the coolent and still does it

the problem started when i burned an exhust valve and took the head off the replace it b4 i did that it was runnin smooth perfect idle excpet fot the dead cylinder tho after that surging started and rings fried so i rebult the motor and checked all the vacume lines cant find any thing wrong with it i really need help its annoying as hell not fixing this thing

Old 02-28-2010, 06:43 PM

did you check the coolant temperature sensor?

Old 02-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you have air in the cooling system, or not proper circulation and/or temp (bad thermostat) the coolant sensor for the computer will not get the proper signal and the engine will hunt like that.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

X2 on bleeding any air out of the system.

When engine is cold, drain coolant (use clean bucket so you can reuse). Loosen bleeder valve on thermostat housing. Add coolant to the radiator. Close bleeder valve when a steady stream of coolant comes out. Top off radiator. Reset ECU by pulling the radio/backup fuse in the engine bay fuse box for a minute. Start the car and allow it to warm up to operating temperature so it can relearn the idle.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:47 PM

i have tryed all of that i checked and tested the coolent temp sensors changed the thermistat and while doing that changed the coolant theand got all the air out reset the ecu i unhooked the batt while i was doing the thermistat im stumped on this and almost gonna bring this thing to honda but i love working on my car and hate stealerships but i have tryed everything and nothing has worked

Old 03-13-2010, 08:51 AM
HDM

hey dave,

i am also new here n it looks like we both have the same issue. I have a 94 accord lx (F22 swap) mt. and I was told it was the map sensor. Yeah, I changed it and when I start it up the rpm jumps to 2000 and the temp also goes up really quick, like 5 minutes. The difference is, i haven't tried everyhting yet, but I am going to check for vaccum problems and maybe search for more reasons why it's doing what it's doing. What else do you think I should check for.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:03 PM
HDM
Default anyone?

yeah, I don;t have a leak anywhere in my throttle. the vacuum is also clean. So i decided to check all my liquids to see if they may have a problem since the last owner kept it sitting aroun for a year and didn't drive it. I am also goind to check everything else, but the reving to 2000 rpm is killing me. Anyone have any suggestions, oh before i forget to include, when i adjust the throttle wires, the rpm does go down but i can;t adjust it all the way or it will be too loose. remember i have a swap f22 in a 94 2 door coupe. I wanna take it to the shop but they might say something about the kamikaze headers and aem cold air intake.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

I am going to copy your posts and start a new thread, so this one doesn't get confusing. You may have a different problem.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:21 PM

hi im new to honda cars but ive tried every thing too did you fix the problem? i did have less compression on cylinder #4

Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome alepooh6. What car are you talking about? 72 Pinto? Any kind of Honda? These things actually matter.

How much less compression? I just got into a thread with someone - he eventually figured out it was a broken valve.

Quick Reply: need help with reving motor