Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   brake rotor swap (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/brake-rotor-swap-60228/)

woody31 10-20-2014 02:51 PM

brake rotor swap

Anyone know if the front rotors off a 94 accord will work on a 96? Also I have watched a few videos and to pull the rotor assm. guy used a slide hammer, ok i can do that but how do you get it back together thanks in advance..yes i did try search.. if this was a elcamino or chevelle, no sweat ,, but i dont know enough on these yet,, i am still tryin to figure what series motor I have and such.... thanks again.. :shrug:

djkurious 10-20-2014 04:32 PM

As far as I know a 94-96 four banger rotors are the same.
Eric the car guy has a nice youtube video on the procedure.
I usually bang the hub out of the spindle with long bolts screwed into the back of the bearings.

JimBlake 10-20-2014 05:07 PM

I think a wagon has larger rotors? (you didn't say whether one car is a wagon)

woody31 10-20-2014 05:21 PM

no it is a 4 door,,reason i ask is there is a 94 in the junk yard near me with a set of like new drilled and slotted rotors . How do you put it back together and what do you mean by bolts scrwed in back of bearings? wont that damage the bearing? thanks

woody31 10-21-2014 01:25 PM

50 views and no answer

Just like the title says.. no one has any tips on this? thanks:shrug:

JimBlake 10-21-2014 01:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The bearing cartridge (#2) is held into the steering knuckle with bolts (#22) through the back. One way to press it out is to put longer bolts in, then hammer around those bolts to push the bearing cartridge out from the knuckle (hopefully straight & evenly).

Then you can unbolt the rotor (#17) from the back side of the hub (#3).

Using the slide hammer, you are hammering through the bearing itself. Using the bolts, you are hammering on the outer casing & less likely to damage the actual bearing.

Hope that makes sense, but I haven't owned an Accord with this arrangement so I'm a bit unsure myself.

shipo 10-21-2014 01:36 PM

I've never run into this design; on the surface at least, it doesn't appear to be Honda's best idea.

JimBlake 10-21-2014 02:17 PM

I had a 1998 which was the first year for the "conventional" design just like almost all other cars.

At first glance, the advantage of the older Honda design is being able to take the rotor, hub, & bearing together out of the knuckle, without destroying the bearing. Maybe corrosion got in the way of that idea?

woody31 10-21-2014 02:40 PM

will the whoe knuckle swap? it is a 94 accord, thanks

JimBlake 10-21-2014 05:24 PM

Looks like they will.
But I didn't check all combinations of 2-door vs. 4-door, auto/manual, etc.

www(dot)hondaautomotiveparts(dot)com (that's one example of a few parts sites)
click "parts"
put in your car's information
category = "Front Brake" for the rotor & hub & brake parts
category = "Knuckle" for the steering knuckle parts
repeat with the donor-car's information