General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord 96 EX over heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Red face Accord 96 EX over heat

I changed the thermostat.Now,with the green thermo switch on the top of coolant hose(the top radiator hose) disconnected,I short the two tiny outlet with the paper clip ( the ignition key is Off position)and the cooling fan kicked On.
With the ignition key turn On position I disconnected the green thermo-switch on top of the thermostat then short the two tiny outlets and the A/C fan kicked on but the coolant fan stay dead.
What could it be? Every fuse in the left side under the hood is functioning normal

Thanks for your advises

Old 09-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You are shorting thermoswitch B, which controls key-off radiator (pax side) cooling fan. It will run for 15 mins and cut off.

Are the cooling fans not running when car is overheating? If that is the problem, thermoswitch A (thermostat housing, below and behind the distributor) should be shorted to cause both fans to run. If one or both fans does not run, then faulty fan or fan relay.

good luck

Old 09-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

The fan that is not running when the switch (on t-stat housing) is jumped and the key to on/II, try putting 12v directly to it, does it run? Also for more info-which fan is not running- Right/Pass or Left/Drivers side?

If putting 12v directly to the motor makes it spin then we can check fuses (under hood), I think you already did this, and relay.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 PM

Yes i did jump the two prongs of the fan-relay -receptacle and the radiator fan (passenger side) is kicked On ,that mean the fan is OK.
Shorting the thermos-switch located on the top of the radiator hose (Top outlet hose),the radiator fan is kicked on =that mean the fan relay is OK. and the connection from switch to relay and to fan is OK isn't ?
Before connecting in parallel the A/C fan and the radiator fan which will temporally solve the over-heat problem I still want to know exactly what else can cause the lost of hot power(12v) at the solenoid prong of the fan relay because this will kick the fan on when the switch is shorted.(every fuse in the relay box under the hood is Normally OK)
Is that true that when you shorted the thermos-switch ,the a/c fan and the radiator fan must Kick-On with the Ignition key On ?
Thanks

Old 09-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

If the radiator fan motor (fan on passenger side) is okay, and when you jump the green electrical connector for thermoswitch A (the switch on the thermostat housing) and it doesn't work, it may be a problem with the radiator fan relay located in the under-hood fuse/relay box.

Last edited by redbull-1; 09-28-2011 at 12:23 AM.