Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Bubbling sound from the steering column? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/bubbling-sound-steering-column-47669/)

bill790 05-22-2012 12:18 PM

Bubbling sound from the steering column?

I have a 2004 Honda Accord EX, manual transmission, climate control, with about 105K miles on it. Of late, I've noticed a "bubbly water" sound coming from what seems to be the steering column. It seems to appear after I've been driving for a while.

I had the car serviced at 101K miles, and flushed the radiator myself at the same time. As far as I can tell, the car isn't overheating, and the performance doesn't seem to be effected.

I did a search of the forum, and didn't see anything quite like what I'm describing. Can anybody help with this? (I'll drive it home from work today without AC to see if that's the issue.)

bill790 05-22-2012 01:18 PM

I'll try "burping" the system to see if that helps. I changed the coolant 4 months ago--don't know why this would happen now.

bill790 05-23-2012 06:57 AM

Update. I drove home from work yesterday, no AC, no bubbling sound.

I drove to work this morning (drive to work and to home is about 45 minutes--yes, I drive DC traffic) with AC on part of the time, and off part of the time. The bubbling sound came back and then went away. Last 20 minutes with the AC on, no sound when I pulled into the parking space. Turned the AC off, with the car still running, and bubbling sound came back.

The sound SEEMS to be coming from the steering column, or behind the speedometer. The car temp is rock solid--it is NOT overheating. I don't think it's a coolant issue. I think it's a AC issue.

So--any ideas?

bpshelton 06-13-2013 09:06 AM

Hi bill790. My wife's 2007 Honda Accord (automatic transmission) seems to be having a very similar issue. Did you ever get any word back about what was going on with your vehicle? Thanks!

bill790 06-21-2013 11:49 AM

Nope. Never really got an answer or figured out what it was. The sound did go away though--haven't heard it in over a year....

poorman212 06-22-2013 09:48 AM

"bp" is the sound on the driver or pass side?

bpshelton 06-23-2013 10:15 AM

I haven't personally experienced it but my wife claims that it seems to be originating from the steering column while the vehicle is idling. No reoccurrence of the issue for about 10 days but still concerned about what may be causing the sound. Thanks in advance for any help.

truepyr 09-10-2013 09:47 PM

Similar sound happened to me last summer ('12). Also noticed a "large" puddle of water under the car after parked for a bit. Freaked out until I realized it was just water. Asked service to check the drainage from the AC and sure enough it was a bit clogged. I can only assume the puddle was occurring when the pressure changed with engine off and released the backup in the hose. Didn't hear it again until just the other day...:p Need to learn how to do this myself obviously... (129K 2004 Accord)

TexasHonda 09-11-2013 08:54 AM

Climate control or Auto Temp Control, uses a servo called air mix motor to adjust blend of heated/cooled air to achieve the selected temperature setting.

These air mix motors have a tiny potentiometer that provides feedback on servo arm position to allow precise control. W/ time the tiny wipers that track the carbon variable resistance strips create loose particles that get trapped in the grease covering the strips. This creates an alternate current path and changes resistance feedback. This results in "hunting" of the servo attempting to find a "correct" position. This sound can be clicking, rattling, gurgling sound depending on amplitude and speed of movements.

If you look on drivers side under the dash and move the temp setting, you should see the servo motor changing the blend door position. Watch for jerky random movements and for the sound you describe.

Fix is to replace or repair servo (difficult but possible).

If you think this is problem, post back and I can provide some links to repairs by others.

good luck

bill790 09-12-2013 06:43 AM

Wow-that sounds like the problem. You must be a Honda mechanic. And yes, thanks, I would like links to possible fixes. I take it isn't as simple as plugging in a new servo motor?