General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What are implications of NOT resetting TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Question What are implications of NOT resetting TPMS?

I drive a 2010 Honda Accord. Both the summer and wire winter rims/tires are equipped for TPMS. I have always changed my own tires (at my convenience), but now I'm forced to schedule an appointment just for resetting the TPMS at the dealer. In addition, the fee with taxes for resetting is close to $100. This will need to be done twice a year, and I assume when brake service is required as well. It will not put me in the poor house, but I prefer spending that money on something more enjoyable, like a night out on the town! I also looked into the Bartec line of tools, but its not cheap, and supposedly require periodic software upgrades.

Of course safety is my primary concern, so my question is: Other than having to verify the pressure myself on a regular basis (as with all my previous cars), are there any serious safety or mechanical implications with NOT resetting the TPMS system and just driving with the light on?
(PS, couldn't get a staight answer from my dealer).

Thanks
Luke

Old 08-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

It is stated in the owner's manual.

If the low tire pressure indicator or TPMS indicator comes on, the VSA system automatically turns on even if the VSA system is turned off by pressing the VSA OFF switch. If this happens, you cannot turn the VSA system off by pressing the VSA OFF switch again. Vehicle Stability Assist is VSA.

In certain unusual conditions when your vehicle gets stuck in shallow mud or fresh snow, it may be easier to free it with the VSA temporarily switched off. When the VSA system is off, the traction control system is also off. You should only attempt to free your vehicle with the VSA off if you are not able to free it when the VSA is on.

So, essentially, without the ability to turn off VSA, it may be harder to get the car unstuck in mud or snow.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:46 AM

Thanks for the info. I think we're going out on the town tonight!

Old 08-31-2012, 08:38 AM

No idea what they charge at a shop to reprogram, I have always reused the old ones.

Have you considered the ATEQ quickset tool it looks like they are about $150.

You could always drive around with your other set of tires in the backseat