Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   A/C Compressor won't cycle on (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/c-compressor-wont-cycle-53408/)

packfan_1982 03-05-2013 09:19 PM

A/C Compressor won't cycle on

1997 EX V6 - Recently replace just about everything in the A/C system (Compressor, reciever/dryer, expansion valve, and condenser). While trying to put some freon back in the system the compressor won't cycle on.

I got a cheap manifold set at auto zone and I feel like I wasted my money since it doesn't do more than read the high side. So i couldn't vacuum out the whole system and it won't allow me to pull freon through the whole system.

I have read that you can short out the A/C relay but I can't figure that out. The connector only has one metal pin... how am I supposed to short that? If I am just being dumb here please tell me (I'm a man, I'm 40, I can take it!) I just want to get some A/C going for this texas heat that is about to hit.

Should I just try and find a used manifold set and use a vacuum pump to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

PAhonda 03-05-2013 10:19 PM

Where is this relay with one pin?

packfan_1982 03-08-2013 07:17 PM

It is the connector coming off of the compressor. If thats not where I need to be please let me know.

poorman212 03-09-2013 07:41 AM

At the end of your first post you talk about a vac pump.....yes, you have to pull a vac on the system before trying to add freon/134a. Did you do this already?

packfan_1982 03-10-2013 01:59 PM

I did...but honestly I know it wasn't done right. The manifold set I have will only read pressure on the high side so I know I'm not vacuuming that side of the system. I put the vacuum on the low side and it looked like it pulled a bit moisture and took the pressure to zero.

I found a used set of manifold gauges for $50 at a pawn shop so I may just go and buy that and do it right with the vacuum. I still can't figure out how to get the compressor to cycle on. Ultimately that's on hold, anyways, since the crankshaft pulley now needs to be replaced.

TexasHonda 03-10-2013 02:05 PM

You need to read high side pressure, but entire system is one open loop. If you vacuumed through low side you vacuumed entire system. Suggest some basic reading of Auto AC systems.

If your high side gauge is not reading pressure, make sure the high side end cut-off valve is open/closing. I've seen them get jammed w/ defective seal. If you're not reading any high side pressure, then end cut-off valve is not opening or high side connection is not depressing the scrader valve on the AC system high side fitting, or you have a bad high side pressure gauge.

good luck

packfan_1982 03-10-2013 02:42 PM

I vacuumed the entire system then. My problem isn't that I'm not getting a reading on the high side its that the compressor isn't cycling on and pulling the freon through the system. I'm just loading up the low side.

The reading I did suggested I jump the compressor at the relay which I either don't know where that is or I have no idea how to jump it. I had also read that you could use the vacuum pump to draw freon through the system. I can't do this if the only access I have to the high side is to get a reading... right?

Roader 03-10-2013 03:34 PM

I bought a Harbor Freight gauge set that works well for occasional use: $60.

It has been my experience that a half a can will get sucked into the low side from the vacuum alone, which will then activate the pressure switch to run the compressor. A great thread for recharging, etc.:

honda-tech(dot)com/showthread.php?t=1665946

packfan_1982 03-10-2013 04:43 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll spring for a decent manifold gauge set and start this from scratch.