Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Can't get ATF plug loose, advice is appreciated. (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/cant-get-atf-plug-loose-advice-appreciated-36722/)

rykertest 12-10-2010 06:34 PM

Can't get ATF plug loose, advice is appreciated.

Well, I am trying to do a drain and fill a few times, but the last guy to work on my car must of used he-man to tighten it because it will not come loose. I have sprayed silicon spray on it to try and loosen it up, I've about popped a blood vessel in my head pulling on my socket, and I even used a rubber mallet to try and tap the socket to break it loose with no luck. Yes it's the right size wrench and yes I am turning it the right way (I think, pulling the wrench hanging down towards the front of the car right?) but it will not budge.

Anyone have any advice?

TexasHonda 12-10-2010 06:39 PM

Removing this plug can be a challenge. You aren't the first to run into this problem. Following are some suggestions:

1) If you have a 1/2"x18" breaker bar, this should provide enough additional leverage to break the bolt.

2) If you have a 1/2" ratchet and 1/2"x38" reducer, the longer 1/2" ratchet will increase your leverage.

3) If you don't have anything but a 3/8" ratchet, I would suggest getting something larger. You could hit the 3/8" ratchet w/ a hammer, but it may damage the ratchet.

good luck

barticus520 12-10-2010 06:39 PM

hmm, there is this stuff called PB buster penetrating catalyst which i have found very handy in situations like this. Couldnt get brake rotors loose, brake caliper wouldnt come loose, and all the time at home depot tool rental where i work.

rykertest 12-10-2010 06:49 PM

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I do not have a breaker bar of any sort, just a basic socket set. I will see if I can borrow a breaker bar from a friend, but then I assume I'll need to jack the car up for the right? I was just doing this on the ground which was plenty clearance for the ratchet, but anything longer would not work.

I'll keep plugging away at it.

Thanks.

jerrym 12-11-2010 07:10 AM

I recently changed my 97 Accord AT fluid.

Jack up the PS of the car, under the car below the PS door you will see the steel support for this.

I used a 3/8 breaker bar, no socket the square head fits right in the plug hole.

Make sure you are prying counter clockwise. You could also take a ball peen hammer and tap directly on the plug head which might help jar it loose.

Good luck.

JimBlake 12-13-2010 11:41 AM

If you jack up that corner of the car, make sure you support it properly. You'll be real sorry if you pull the car down on top of you...

I like the ball-peen hammer. It's a sharper shock vs the mallet and that's what those bolts seem to need.

bigdawg74 12-13-2010 11:17 PM

The breaker bar is the way to go. Hitting a ratchet w/ a mallet, or any other type of hammer, will probably just bust the teeth in the ratchet.

jjpcampbell 12-15-2010 02:29 PM

I just did mine 3 days ago. I picked up a 3/8" breaker (short handle, around 12") from Autozone for around $10.00. Then I picked up a 12" pipe from Home Depot for $5.

I rapped the plug w/a wrench a couple of times (because I don't have a ball-peen hammer).

I had the pipe hanging off almost all the way off the breaker bar handle. It was still a chore, but after about a minute of pressure it snapped loose.

If I were using a ratchet I'm pretty sure it would have failed.

PS - make sure the head of the wrench is firmly seated in the drain plug. I didn't have it seated correctly first and the wrench went flying the first time I applied pressure. I was afraid I damaged the plug, but it was fine.