General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car speeds up for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 08:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Car speeds up for no reason

Hello there all, I have a 03 Accord LX 2.4L, Auto trans 4 dr with now 277,000 on the clock. 3 times now in a certain inclining curve at 65 mph it will speed up with cruise control that is DISENGAGED. Its only has did it to my wife in the last month. Anybody have any ideas as to where to start looking for this problem and would it show up in a fault code?
thanks in advance.

Last edited by babcock9er; 05-26-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by babcock9er
Hello there all, I have a 03 Accord LX 2.4L, Auto trans 4 dr with now 277,000 on the clock. 3 times now in a certain inclining curve at 65 mph it will speed up with cruise control that is DISENGAGED. Its only has did it to my wife in the last month. Anybody have any ideas as to where to start looking for this problem?

thanks in advance.
As we told you on the other site, you need to have your car professionally checked; odds are there is something wrong between the engine and the brake booster.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by shipo
As we told you on the other site, you need to have your car professionally checked; odds are there is something wrong between the engine and the brake booster.
NA, I got your answer already, Looking for others advice.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

NA, I got your answer already, Looking for others advice.
So you're going to keep asking until you hear something different, even if it's wrong? Dude, get the braking system looked at.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Can you reproduce the conditions to get the car to accelerate?

Is your check engine light on? You should have your codes scanned, because it could provide you some direction for testing.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PAhonda

Is your check engine light on? You should have your codes scanned, because it could provide you some direction for testing.
It seems @babcock9er isn't being as forthcoming with details as the previous thread on the other forum, in that thread one of the things he mentioned is with the accelerator pedal held to the floor, his brakes are not capable of stopping the car.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by shipo
It seems @babcock9er isn't being as forthcoming with details as the previous thread on the other forum, in that thread one of the things he mentioned is with the accelerator pedal held to the floor, his brakes are not capable of stopping the car.
That definitely needs to be addressed/fixed ASAP. Not just for him and his family, but for others he shares the road with.
I was going to say a bad IAC valve though, as I know that can cause the engine rpms to increase. But brakes are more important that they work. It's also the reason my own Accord is parked (rusted thru rear brake line), as I haven't gotten to fix it yet. I figure IF I go in there to fix it, I'm doing all 4 lines under there, like I did to my wife's Accord, and my Geo Prizm.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 05-26-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda

We did find a fault code (16-01) and I'm working with it as we speak/type. need to do some testing to see if the fix works or not.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
That definitely needs to be addressed/fixed ASAP. Not just for him and his family, but for others he shares the road with.
I was going to say a bad IAC valve though, as I know that can cause the engine rpms to increase. But brakes are more important that they work. It's also the reason my own Accord is parked (rusted thru rear brake line), as I haven't gotten to fix it yet. I figure IF I go in there to fix it, I'm doing all 4 lines under there, like I did to my wife's Accord, and my Geo Prizm.
Long before I mentioned the brake peddle depressed and the speeding up both together I all ready was looking into the present fault code (16-01) problem and monitoring the results. I can't speak for others that jump to conclusions being they don't know what I am doing and when I have did something to remedy something I have put into play, just saying...

Old 05-28-2019, 09:44 AM

Long before I mentioned the brake peddle depressed and the speeding up both together I all ready was looking into the present fault code (16-01) problem and monitoring the results. I can't speak for others that jump to conclusions being they don't know what I am doing and when I have did something to remedy something I have put into play, just saying...
I wouldn't call that jumping to conclusions. If you want help or advice, you need to include some more info for people to work with. For example - have you been able to reproduce what your wife has done, or is it just when she's been driving? And do you have any thoughts on what the issue might be, or is there anything you've ruled out so far?

Quick Reply: Car speeds up for no reason