General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

car starts but not holding charge please look

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default car starts but not holding charge please look

So I just redid my vavle cover gasket and throttle body and now somewhere its draining my battery to where I cant start it but there is still power. What do I do, and its not my aternature or starter

Old 04-26-2014, 03:57 PM

could be intake manifold ecu ground not attached depending on which car you have

Old 04-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have the fbb1 motor and I check the aternature and its fine. The guy at advance said it could be something turning on and not turning off or my grounds Are lose or something, but ill check my ground tomorrow, but if anyone else has ideas let me know.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The intake ecu ground is on the side of the intake right, because thats connected.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

If something is draining the battery, then you have a parasitic draw and need to determine the component that is causing your problem.

Here is a good video:

Old 04-28-2014, 11:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey PAhonda, I did what the guy said am0nd when I do the test for negative wire to negative battery post it reads 0, and when I tun the car on it still drains my battery. And drains really fast when I have the car running, I checked my alternature and its brand new, do you think it could be the wire that connects there to the ecu, telling it not to turn on or something??? I really need some help and thank you for the other help to

Old 04-28-2014, 11:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default NEED HELP cars runs but is draining battery

I have checked the alternature and every ground on my car and somewhere its still draining the battery, before I replaced the vavle cover and throttle body the car was running fine, and a week after I did everything it was running fine till one day it didnt want to start, so I checked it and come to find out the one ground wasnt connected to my throttle body and tye grou d that conndcts to the vavle cover was in the cover, so I took all of them out and put them in the right place and attached the throttle body ground, I replaced the alternature and did a parasite set and all I came up with is the when I touch the negative wire and negative post on the battery the ohm reader reads 0. So can someone please help me. And when I run my car it drains really fast and stays at a charge when I only have the battery pack to it. Thank you

Old 04-29-2014, 03:22 AM

It doesn't sound like your battery is getting drained. It just sounds like it's not charging.

Check the engine bay fuse box assembly for the 80a or 90a alternator fuse. See if it's blown. See if you get continuity across the pins of the fuse. If not, it's blown.

Then start the car when it's completely cold and measure the voltage across the battery posts. Note the voltage. Then turn on the headlights. Note the voltage. Let us know what you got.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So I have checked everything you have said and still nothing has changed, the volts for a cold start were 13.98 and the highest it got was 14.20, so I said ill try and check the obd1 code and see what that says and it gave me a single solid light no blinks, and it starts up completely fine and only the battery starts to drain when the car is running and does not drain when the key is out or the car and everything off it stays at 12.11. And I do not have a alternature fuse of 80 or 90. I have a dimmer lightering power window and one other but no 80 or 90 fuse at all. And not even the under my driver one to, so what should I do now?

Old 04-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So I just check my volts for the alternature four wires and the two bottom ones are reading at 12 volts and the two top at .09 volts. And I check my cables like I did the negative cable to the frame and your supose to have .02 volts for the ecu well I have .00 volts. Do you think the ecu is cooked?

Quick Reply: car starts but not holding charge please look