Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Car won't start, is the problem my starter? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/car-wont-start-problem-my-starter-55606/)

tlhfirelion 07-04-2013 07:02 AM

Car won't start, is the problem my starter?

1997 Accord SE, 240,000 miles, automatic sedan.

Went to start my car this morning and it would click, click, click and the dash lights would flash so it is getting power. It's not had any issues starting ever but this is the original starter.

It would not turn over at all but there was plenty of power getting to the dash and lighting and everything. It was as if the electrical part of the car was turning over with the rapid clicking but the engine itself wasn't making a sound.

I will check the relay when I get home but unless it's a visible inspection like a blown fuse, I have no idea if I will be able to tell if thats the problem.

The second part of my question here is IF it is indeed the starter, how hard is that to replace? I can follow directions well for a DIY but have never changed a starter before. Is it a plug and play type of thing?

Thanks for any feedback you're able to provide.

TexasHonda 07-04-2013 07:13 AM

Yes, starter solenoid is the problem. Electrical contacts in solenoid wear out and don't provide enough current flow to turn starter.

Starter removal/installation is straightforward, however bolts can be tricky to access/turn. Extension, 3/8x1/2 reducer, and 1/2" ratchet may be necessary to get enough torque to turn the bolts.

Check diy forum for guidance. Youtube for videos on the subject.

Solenoid is repairable w/ new contacts, but most folks opt for a new starter. Check www for "honda starter solenoid repair".

good luck

RobinsonRicer 07-04-2013 07:30 AM

I had lots of fun with my starter. Had to replace it twice. In the parking lot of advance auto where they had to push start me to get to another advance that had the replacement for the replacement.

Hit the starter with a wrench or something and that should give it enough of a kick to start up for you in a pinch.

Texashonda is correct.

My input for replacing it is that there are three bolts into the transmission towards the front of the car holding the starter on. You can follow the positive battery cable down to it. You want to disconnect the ground and the positive wire and then take out the three bolts. The starter will pull right out. Then simply install the new one.

This was one of my first repairs, and I have the attention span of a kitten in a yarn factory on acid. :P Even then it was pretty simple.

TexasHonda 07-04-2013 08:02 AM

Always disconnect negative battery cable as first step to working on starter.

good luck

tlhfirelion 07-04-2013 11:55 AM

So I had my wife go out and see if it would start or not. It started right up for her twice. She sent me video that I wish I could share of it struggling to turn over the 4th time she tried. It sounded like a weak battery this time where the turn over was sluggish and the light would flicker. Would this still be the starter?

I think I'll test the battery first. There is minor corrosion on the red post but not much and cleaning it didn't change the situation.

tlhfirelion 07-04-2013 12:00 PM

The water level in the battery is approx. 1inch low. FYI

woody31 07-04-2013 06:13 PM

make sure the battery is full of water,,and make sure it is fully charged before you attempt to test it,,sounds like a weak battery to me,,good luck cheers

tlhfirelion 07-06-2013 08:48 AM

So I took my old starter to oriellys auto parts and they tested it. They said under load it was drawing 65 and 150 both times they tried? The third time is was 59? The guys said their computer told them it should be around or at 300. I'm not sure what he was talking about and he wasn't able to elaborate.

Anyone able to clarify? Thank you.

TexasHonda 07-06-2013 09:08 AM

The starter amperage draw doesn't matter. You have a starter solenoid fault.

Faulty solenoid will cause low amperage draw or normal, or sometimes starter won't turn over at all. I believe that was your original complaint.

Open solenoid and examine contacts if you want proof. They will be severely worn and arc spots.

good luck

tlhfirelion 07-07-2013 12:14 PM

the car has started and run 5-6 times now with no issues so it would seem the problem was fixed. Thank you again for everyones help in getting that done.

On a side note, I'd like to strangle/hug the engineer that designed this engine. Its a very reliable car but man it is a pain in the butt to work on.