Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   cel does not light up (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/cel-does-not-light-up-45578/)

phatboyslim2012 02-15-2012 04:39 PM

cel does not light up

well its inspection time, and my check engine light does not work. i have replaced the bulb twice to be safe...

any ideas as to how i can get the light working again?

my car was posting a o2 error, but that was fixed.

PAhonda 02-15-2012 05:02 PM

Are there any other lights that are not working?

phatboyslim2012 02-16-2012 11:14 AM

hey pa long time, anyway this issue has been here since i bought the car, when i first got it all the illumination lights where burnt out, but have been replaced since
the only light that does not work in the cluster is the cel

the car has come a long way since i got it, and i have you to thank because you have helped with nearly all my issues, well besides these windows, man its anoying lol.

PAhonda 02-16-2012 01:13 PM

Just looked at the shop manual. When you first turn the key to the II position and do not start the car, does the oil pressure light turn on for about two seconds.

Do you have a volt meter?

live2rice 02-16-2012 01:14 PM

Hmm this is a strange problem. If you have replaced the bulbs and it still doesn't work it leaves me wondering, it makes me think there is something wrong with the soldering leading up to the CEL.

If you have a friend with a 94-97 Accord or an Acura CL I would ask if you can swap the cluster just to see if it fixes it.

phatboyslim2012 02-16-2012 04:38 PM

to pa:

the oil pressure light does illuminate, ill add a pic in a few.

to live:

the solder issue could be the reason.

anyway if it was a loose wire, it may have flickered from time to time but has not.

when i first got the car it was in slightly less than perfect condition, the o2 sensor was removed and straight piped where the cat was, so maybe the cel was disabled by the previous owner, which i hope it wasnt.

live2rice 02-16-2012 04:45 PM

Its possible, but to me the easiest way to disable the CEL is to remove the bulb, but then again it sounds like the previous owner wasnt the brightest.

phatboyslim2012 02-16-2012 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hey pa

so i put it on ac without the car running and the oil pressure light, "the one on far left next to the batt light" remains illuminated unless i start the car.

Attachment 18616

phatboyslim2012 02-16-2012 04:59 PM

live:

the previous owner had his way with this car.
anyway i think tomorrow i will take the cluster out and check the leads and grounds of the circuit board.

when i replaced the bulb both times the bulb was pretty hard to take out of the adapter, possibly a brroken adapter?

PAhonda 02-16-2012 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The quick way to test is to test for voltage at the ECU (aka PCM).

Unplug the A connector (see attached pic). Pin A18 should have 12V to ground with the key in the II position. The wire should be light green with a red stripe.