General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Adding A Constant Power Accessory Socket

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:03 AM
jdubicki
Unregistered
Default Adding A Constant Power Accessory Socket

I want to add an addition power outlet to my 05 Accord VP inside the console compartment. I would like this one to be contant power if possible. I was thinking of using the an unused fuse fron the interior fuse box that is getting power. It seems that on my car fuse slot 3 which is for daytime running lights on Canadian models is getting contant power. My question is would that be alright to connect an accessory plug to and make it constant power or will that just kill my battery. I would just tap off my ACC fuse, but I alrealdy have that one being utilized. what do you guys think??

Old 06-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default RE: Adding A Constant Power Accessory Socket

I added one by tapping into the constant 12V line running into the radio connector. Did it when I replaced the radio. I can
run my cell phone charger all night without draining the battery, which is why I installed it.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Default RE: Adding A Constant Power Accessory Socket

I did it on my 04 Accord by tapping into the driver's side seat motor. Since that is "always on", it was easy to tap and run under the carpet and into the console. Since I wanted it for occassional cell phone use (as you describe) and wasn't powering a toaster oven, I didn't have to worry about overworking the circuit. I just cut and sealed the existing wire into the console power plug and rewired with the new line.

Jeff

04 Accord
00 Civic
99Accord

Old 08-11-2010, 04:40 PM

It may be possible to rewire the existing accessory socket to get constant power directly off the battery bus, maybe connecting to an unused position on the fuse block. (A wiring diagram could be helpful.) For safety, one must have a fuse or fusible link in the feed, as it is possible to inadvertently plug in a heavy load or even short the circuit out. Failure to protect this circuit could easily turn your prized Honda car into a "carbecue".

I wanted to be able to draw 10-12 amperes off the cigar lighter socket in my 1986 Ford Ranger pickup, and found that the plastic blade fuses kept blowing, primarily due to initial surge currents from loads like air compressors used to pump up tires in emergencies. The solution was to replace the fuse with a thermal time delay self-resetting circuit breaker. It responds slowly enough not to trip from the fractional second overload when a motor starts, yet will trip in about a second under short circuit conditions, before the wiring heats up. It takes a minute or two to cool off and reset on its own. Such breakers are available at auto stores, and depending on the vehicle, may fit in certain slots of a fuse block designed for plastic blade fuses. Be careful trying this on a factory-installed 12VDC accessory socket: Even though accessory sockets are the same size as cigar lighter sockets, they often are served by smaller gauge wiring and cannot deliver the current needed by high-power loads. Do not simply change the fuse with a higher rated fuse or circuit breaker, as you run the risk of an electrical fire! If you need to run a heavy load, you will need to run a dedicated AWG #14 to #10 wire from the supply, most likely directly to the battery.

Last edited by phil8192; 08-11-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add'l thought about electrical safety.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:55 PM
Default 2005 Honda Accord

trying to find the Accessory wire, power and ground. Anyone know? If I want to hook up a new radio will I have to do it through the trunk?