Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   changing transmission fluids (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/changing-transmission-fluids-52181/)

NOLAN44 01-03-2013 07:16 AM

changing transmission fluids

can someone tell me how to change trnsmission fluid in honda accord ex 1995. and how many quarts do i need.

JimBlake 01-03-2013 09:14 AM

Can someone tell us whether you have an automatic or manual transmission? V-6 or 4-cyl engine?

For all of them, the drain plug has a square hole & you use a 3/8 socket extension without a socket.

For the 4-cyl manual the drain plug is directly below the right axle, you can see it looking from the right-front wheel. Fill plug is level with the axle, at 9-o'clock position.

For the 4-cyl automatic, the drain plug is also on that side, but well-forward of the axle. Seems like it's on the right-front corner of the transmission. Fill through the dipstick-hole.

Amount of fluid should be listed in the owner's manual. Maybe 3 quarts for automatic, less for the manual.

NOLAN44 01-03-2013 11:16 AM

thank you. its automatic

curvenut 01-10-2013 08:15 AM

Same situation for me,, need to change oil transmission !
for a Acord 1996 EX 4 door 2.2L

I have additional questions :
1- What is the exact oil I need ??
2- I.d like to flush the oil by doing drain-refill 2 times. Is that enough ?
3- How long should I drive the car between 2 drain in order to clean it thoroughly ??

Thanks

JimBlake 01-10-2013 10:48 AM

1 - Honda ATF. Pretty sure when your car was build Honda called their fluid "ATF Z-1". But that has since been replaced with something newer & better. ATF is one of the few fluids that really actually need to be Honda fluids.

2 - Judge how clean is the old fluid that drains out. The dipstick isn't always the best indications, sometimes the drained fluid is dirtier. There's a chance you might want to do it 3x. The fluid is pricey, so unless you want to buy a 12-pack, just buy more fluid later after you've already done 2x.

3 - Probably 5 or 10 miles. But many people find it's convenient to wait until the following weekend to repeat the drain/fill. No problem with doing it that way.

curvenut 01-10-2013 01:23 PM

Thanks for the information.

the oil transmission is expensive, Honda dealer sell it for 10$ a quart in Montreal, Canada !

I am wondering if I can buy a generic like Castrol or Penzoil oil transmission that fit to Honda Accord 1996.
Is that OK to do that ?

JimBlake 01-10-2013 04:09 PM

Just wait for others to chime in. I'm not so much of an expert for automatics.

Seems like a lot of people keep saying you have problems using Dexron-type fluid.

UhOh 01-11-2013 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by NOLAN44 (Post 306915)
how to change trnsmission fluid in honda accord ex 1995.

and how many quarts do i need.

Your tranny drain plug has a big magnet on end that will be coated in black gunk.
Just wipe it clean and don't worry on it.

My '97 AT takes 2 1/2 qts for drain and fill when on level.