General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 accord D4 light won't light up & Cruise issues

Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Default 2001 accord D4 light won't light up & Cruise issues

Hello all,
The title is misleading as I am chasing a faulty cruise control but also realized that the odo light was out (thought that might be my CC problem) and my d4 light is out. Well, I replaced the odo light and was going to do the d4 light but there are no individual light bulbs for P, R, N, D blah blah blah. What the heck? All the other gear selections light up from bottom to top but not d4. I played with the switches and wires coming from the gear lever thinking maybe a loose wire but the others light up so I don't get it. I started to tear in to the dash panel to look for hidden bulbs but it got pretty complicated pretty quick. I do not have any blinking codes or anything and the car drives great (new Honda tranny 20K ago) any ideas? Think this is why my cruise isn't working?

The cruise control push button on the dash turns green when pressed but nothing happens when you press the set cruise button on the wheel? What am I missing?

Thanks,
Chad

Old 08-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Cruise control is fairly complex and there's an extensive diagnostic table in the shop manual. Download a manual from the Online Manuals links in DIY section.

Check fuses first. Make sure actuator has vacuum supply and is electrically connected.

A fairly frequent cause of your problem is failure of the switch on the steering column or damaged cable reel assy from wheel to steering column.

good luck

Old 08-21-2009, 07:22 PM

Hey thanks for the advise. Duh, I should have mentioned that I already checked the fuses. Sorry. I checked all of them not just the one marked cruise control. I know in some vehicles there are 2 and sometimes 3 different fuses on one thing that can cause that thing to not work. Like older GM radios, I think there is only 1 fuse labled radio but there are 2 other fuses that can stop it from working correctly. Anyway, I searched and searched for my issue and found some threads related to bad switches on the wheel. One of the treads (I think) said that their bad switch didn't click or properly engage like it used to so they could pretty much feel when it broke. However, mine feels the same way it always has. Not like that means it couldn't still have gone bad but oh well.

I'll do like you said and check the actuator for power and go from there. If the switch or wires in the clum are bad it wouldn't be getting power, right?

Do you have any idea why my d4 light is out? and could it have anything to do with the cruise?

Thanks,
Chad

Old 08-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Can you get the cruise control to work when driving in D3? I think there is a minimum speed that you have to go. 30 or 35 mph seems to ring a bell. If it works in D3, then you should test the gear position switch.

The spoon honda site in the online manuals thread in the DIY section has a 98-02 shop manual that you can download. Its an iso file, so you have to burn it to a CD. There is a diagram of the cruise control inputs that you can test.