Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Cleaning Headlights (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/cleaning-headlights-47598/)

94ex915 05-18-2012 06:35 PM

Cleaning Headlights

1 Attachment(s)
Before I invest in some new headlights I was wondering if anyone knows how to clean headlights that look like this. It seems to only be on the outside of the light.

TexasHonda 05-18-2012 06:49 PM

Videos all over youtube about how to do this job. Take your pick.

good luck

crispin 05-18-2012 06:53 PM

I have cleaned a fed sets with good results

94ex915 05-18-2012 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda (Post 282168)
Videos all over youtube about how to do this job. Take your pick.

good luck

Ya I have checked and the only thing they show how to do is if the headlights are yellow. These really are not yellow and I cant really describe whats wrong with them :confused:

94ex915 05-18-2012 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by crispin (Post 282172)
I have cleaned a fed sets with good results

How did you do yours? I tried sanding it down a little but was worried it would leave the headlight looking worse.

TexasHonda 05-18-2012 07:03 PM

Looks like chemical hazing from solvents, but could be clouding from water getting inside.

You might try a trial cleaning w/ a buffer and any good automotive polish to see if you can buff the hazing out. All the repairs are based on removing a surface layer of oxidized lens.

good luck

crispin 05-18-2012 07:05 PM

1500 grit then polishing compound

works great

94ex915 05-18-2012 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda (Post 282176)
Looks like chemical hazing from solvents, but could be clouding from water getting inside.

You might try a trial cleaning w/ a buffer and any good automotive polish to see if you can buff the hazing out. All the repairs are based on removing a surface layer of oxidized lens.

good luck

Ya im pretty sure its on the outside. It feels really rough compared to the other one. Thanks:D

94ex915 05-18-2012 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by crispin (Post 282177)
1500 grit then polishing compound

works great

Im going to try that. Think I used 2500 last time I tried it but just did a small area. Thank you :D

GoneHonda 05-18-2012 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda (Post 282176)

good luck

EXACTLY WHAT I DID!! Try this first, and if not good enough yet, try a little(VERY LITTLE) brake fluid on a rag, then buff it, still not good enough go to walfart or whorber freight to get the polishing kit for headlights.

Dr. Drivability 05-18-2012 08:49 PM

As mentioned, 1500 grit wet sand them, dry and tape off the paint area, pick up some Mequires Plast-X and use a a drill with a foam buffing pad on it, can also be done by hand. Then go charge your neighbor 25 bucks to do his and you'll pay for the supplys plus a case of beer ;)

GoneHonda 05-18-2012 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by dr. Drivability (Post 282192)
then go charge your neighbor 25 bucks to do his and you'll pay for the supplys plus a case of beer ;)

hahaha i should have done this!:)

94ex915 05-18-2012 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Frederick (Post 282199)
you can browse some hid lights at uobd2

Just bought HIDs today and you can tell more then ever that the light is messed up. Picked up this turtle wax restoration kit and it helped a little but its a little windy now so I really didnt do a good job on it. Will try again in the morning and if not ima get some sandpaper..

EXV6NIGHTHAWK 05-18-2012 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by 94ex915 (Post 282206)
Just bought HIDs today and you can tell more then ever that the light is messed up. Picked up this turtle wax restoration kit and it helped a little but its a little windy now so I really didnt do a good job on it. Will try again in the morning and if not ima get some sandpaper..

The Turtle wax kit is a lot of work, and doesn't really do any better job than the Mothers powerball kit, which is much easier to use. It doesn't last forever either way, but at least doing it again is easy with the powerball. Sand paper comes with the kit, but I didn't need to use it.

94ex915 05-19-2012 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK (Post 282209)
The Turtle wax kit is a lot of work, and doesn't really do any better job than the Mothers powerball kit, which is much easier to use. It doesn't last forever either way, but at least doing it again is easy with the powerball. Sand paper comes with the kit, but I didn't need to use it.

Ya but the sand paper provided is really small so im going to try the 1500 tomorrow. By the way, do you know how to adjust the headlights on this car?

EXV6NIGHTHAWK 05-19-2012 12:32 AM

Doesn't make sense to me to use sand paper at all, when it's not neccessary, but whatever works for you. Put the powerball on a drill, a little liquid on the ball, and in a few minutes you have clear headlights again.

crispin 05-19-2012 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK (Post 282217)
Doesn't make sense to me to use sand paper at all, when it's not neccessary, but whatever works for you. Put the powerball on a drill, a little liquid on the ball, and in a few minutes you have clear headlights again.

It really depends on how damaged the lens are to start.

It sounded like the OP's car needs a lot of smoothing as he says he can feel the roughness with his hand.

I used the sandpaper on a Tahoe once that was in really really bad shape and I have used just the polish on a few lenses that were just lightly discolored.

94ex915 05-19-2012 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by crispin (Post 282218)
It really depends on how damaged the lens are to start.

It sounded like the OP's car needs a lot of smoothing as he says he can feel the roughness with his hand.

I used the sandpaper on a Tahoe once that was in really really bad shape and I have used just the polish on a few lenses that were just lightly discolored.

Ya they are bad. Havent worked on it yet. Anyone tell me where the adjustment screws for the headlights are?

EXV6NIGHTHAWK 05-19-2012 03:49 PM

I think there is only one adjustment (up and down), and you have to use a long screwdriver going through the plastic piece under the hood. I've tried it before, and I've never gotten the light to move very much. Protect the area around the headlight with tape.

What I like about the powerball is you can use the sandpaper the first time, then use the ball to maintain it after that. It will get dull again, in half the time, so you will need to do it again.

94ex915 05-19-2012 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK (Post 282260)
I think there is only one adjustment (up and down), and you have to use a long screwdriver going through the plastic piece under the hood. I've tried it before, and I've never gotten the light to move very much. Protect the area around the headlight with tape.

What I like about the powerball is you can use the sandpaper the first time, then use the ball to maintain it after that. It will get dull again, in half the time, so you will need to do it again.

Anyone have a picture of where I adjust it at? I cant find it.

PAhonda 05-19-2012 06:53 PM

Open the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum. Open the online manuals link. You can get a 94 shop manual as a pdf from those sites that will help you out a lot.

94ex915 05-19-2012 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 282282)
Open the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum. Open the online manuals link. You can get a 94 shop manual as a pdf from those sites that will help you out a lot.

I got one of the manuals and it does have a lot of stuff but I cant find where it says how to adjust the headlights :confused:

94ex915 05-19-2012 08:26 PM

Headlight Adjustment

I know I kinda already asked this in another post of mine but the other post was for a different topic. I need to find out where the adjustment screw or whatever it is for the headlights are. If you can provide a picture that would be great :D

PAhonda 05-19-2012 08:32 PM

Page 23-196

94ex915 05-19-2012 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 282291)
Page 23-196

Well I feel dumb :o

Ya I found it. It was under the electrical section. Still not to sure where its at. I have seen nothing like this:(

94ex915 05-19-2012 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If my life was on the line to find this I would be dead....

Heres the light.. Really dirty...

PAhonda 05-19-2012 08:55 PM

There are two adjustment screws (horizontal and vertical).

The horizontal is easy to see. Look at the driver's side headlight from the front of the car. Just above the plastic on the right hand side, there will be a philips head screw that you should easily be able to see when the hood is open.

The vertical is more towards the middle of the car on the headlight housing and is on the engine side of the headlight. The top of the screw will face the hood of the car.

Make sure you are looking at the KH version in the shop manual (US). The KE and KG are for non-us accords.

94ex915 05-19-2012 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 282297)

The horizontal is easy to see. Look at the driver's side headlight from the front of the car. Just above the plastic on the right hand side, there will be a philips head screw that you should easily be able to see when the hood is open.

The vertical is more towards the middle of the car on the headlight housing and is on the engine side of the headlight. The top of the screw will face the hood of the car.

Make sure you are looking at the KH version in the shop manual (US). The KE and KG are for non-us accords.

I think I found it but I dont have a screwdriver that will fit. Let me try again. And thanks!!! :D

94ex915 05-19-2012 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 282297)

Ya found the horizontal and im pretty sure I found the vertical but I just can not get to it =\

poorman212 05-20-2012 05:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Like this?

I merged these threads together........so a few things are out of order.....

94ex915 05-20-2012 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212 (Post 282322)
Like this?

I merged these threads together........so a few things are out of order.....

Ya. I was able to find it I think... And I tried adjusting it and nothing was happening so im just going to wait until I get new headlights and maybe the adjustment will be different.