Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Clutch release bearing replacement (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/clutch-release-bearing-replacement-3997/)

footy14 07-12-2006 07:03 PM

Clutch release bearing replacement

I have a 1990 EXR and recently the bearing in the clutch area has been really noisy. I believe it is the clutch release bearing....from what I have read on this forum. Anyone replaced a clutch/bearing on this year accord? How much is involved and how difficult is it? I was thinking of tackling the job myself. My clutch is still good, everything shifts fine and smooth but I figured that I should replace other clutch parts while it is taken apart.

Suggestions, ideas and opinions are all welcome.

Thanks

mbo1985 07-12-2006 09:47 PM

RE: Clutch release bearing replacement

I did my clutch on my accord and it's not very hard, with the right tools of course. I recommend an engine lift for the transmission and a breaker bar while you're at it. You'll have to take the transmission out . It's not too hard, but I'd recommend some basic car expirience before attempting. While you're in there I would do a whole new clutch (disc and pressure plate), resurface the flywheel, and do the main seal. And while the axles are out, you may want to redo the CV joints. You can regrease them if they are ok, otherwise get new ones.

deserthonda 07-13-2006 02:17 AM

does it make noise with the clutch pedal depressed or not depressed ??

like MBO said you need to pull the tranny. the biggest problem you might come across is loosening up the axle nuts ( 36 mm ) ..and i also agree with him that while tranny is out to replace clutch kit and resurface flywheel and replace the rear main seal ..

but contrary to what he said you do not need an engine lift,, tranny comes out from under the car, and no need to support the engine , you still got mounts holding it up .

you do need however a good floor jack and some jack stands ,, unless of course you got a lift ..
make sure to drain the fluid first so it won't spill all over you when trying to get the tranny out, also disconnect battery cable, you need to remove the starter out of the way actually it might be easier to remove the battery totally out and the battery tray it will give you a lot more room to work, especially getting at the top tranny mount bolts

footy14 07-13-2006 03:26 PM

It only makes the noise when the clutch is engaged....so when it is NOT depressed. The noise goes away once the clutch is depressed.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined, so as long as there are no specialty tools required, then I can probably do the clutch myself.

JimBlake 07-13-2006 10:46 PM

Try this...

Idling in neutral, clutch engaged (pedal not pressed down).

Press the clutch pedal down suddenly/quickly.

The noise of a bad throw-out bearing will go away instantly. The noise of a bad tranny bearing will take a second or 2 to coast to a stop.

Either way, you have to remove the tranny. But you'll have an idea whether you have to dismantle the tranny itself...

mbo1985 07-14-2006 12:31 AM

I didn't say you need the lift, I just recommended it since it made the job easier for me (especially in regards to putting it back on). You can do it with floor jacks too (I've done it that way also), the choice is yours.

The axle nuts like desert said will be your biggest head ache. I had to work on them for a few minutes with the impact wrench before they would budge.

Overall, it's not a big pain, especially if you have some know-how. And make sure to drain the tranny before you pull the axles, or things will get messy!

deserthonda 07-14-2006 02:05 AM

sounds to me like you got an issue with a tranny bearing ( inside the tranny ) and not the clutch release bearing

what kind of fluid is in the tranny??? i hope it is not 90 w ..

footy14 07-15-2006 12:50 AM

I'm going to try the quick clutch depress pedal to see if the noise stops instantly or if it coasts to stop.

I'll be back to let you know.

Thanks for the help so far.

footy14 07-15-2006 12:53 AM

It seems to me that when I depress the clutch very quickly, it takes just a slight second for the noise to stop. To me, it seems to coast to a stop. Is this a tranny problem? When I first started to hear the noise, I flushed the tranny fluid and refilled it, but it did nothing.

footy14 07-15-2006 12:55 AM

You mentioned that a tranny issue will usually take a second or two to have the noise stop. The noise stops in basically 1/2 a second or less once the clutch is depressed.