General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coincidence or Foul Play?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Default Coincidence or Foul Play?

Recently I brought my car into the dealer for a timing belt replacement (just reached 210k). I had a 15% off coupon so I thought I could save some money. While the car was there, the dealer called and informed me that the power steering pump, distributor, and VTEC solenoid were leaking which would be around an additional $500 which I declined (the car only uses 1 quart of oil between 5k oil changes and the power steering fluid is not low). When I went to pick up the car later that day, everything seemed fine – they even washed the car for me – cool. When I turned the key, it clicked but wouldn’t start. I checked battery connections; the dealer tried using a battery booster, but nothing. I had replaced the battery a couple of months ago, so I was pretty sure it wasn’t that. After a little while, they said they thought it was the starter. They loaned me a car to get home and I left it there for them to fix the next day. $420 and a rebuilt starter later, I was back in business.

I’m inclined to think this was just a coincidence, though I think $420 is kind of high for replacing the starter. In other circumstances, I probably would have done the work myself, but I depend on the car so I let them fix it.

Do you think the dealer treated me fairly? I bought the car new there and have never had problems with them in the past.

Opinions are appreciated.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:07 PM

Honda starters are expensive, and there could be quite a bit of labor involved, to change the starter on your car. The way I see it, if you can't, or just don't want to DIY, you have to pay. Keep this in mind for the next time.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It's not my dollar, but I'd say the starter failing while at the dealer for a timing belt replacement is just coincidence.

I've had 2 starters fail (separate cars) in the last 2 yrs, so figuring I'm good to go for several more years ...
As I recall the last no start, which happened at a DryCleaner adjacent to a local repair shop, cost $270-300 using an NAPA aftermarket starter.
So if you got a Honda starter at a Honda dealer (with their warranty) I'd say you should be happy enough.

Best.

Last edited by UhOh; 12-10-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK
Honda starters are expensive, and there could be quite a bit of labor involved, to change the starter on your car. The way I see it, if you can't, or just don't want to DIY, you have to pay. Keep this in mind for the next time.
Apparently their starters are expensive. I was charged around $270 for the rebuilt starter (3 year warranty); the rest was labor. The starter is very accessible from the top, so I don't think the labor is too bad.

I normally do as much DIY as possible but not timing belts. Due to the circumstances, I didn't end up doing the starter either in this case.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmm, Napa is listing remanufactured starters which range from low one-hundreds to mid-hundreds; new ones range from mid-hundreds to high-hundreds.

I'm having a difficult time wrapping my brain around a rebuilt starter for $270.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rob2000AccordLX
Apparently their starters are expensive. I was charged around $270 for the rebuilt starter (3 year warranty); the rest was labor. The starter is very accessible from the top, so I don't think the labor is too bad.

I normally do as much DIY as possible but not timing belts. Due to the circumstances, I didn't end up doing the starter either in this case.
That starter will probably last you another 14 years. My 95 accord starter started showing its age back in 2011 with 346,000. Unfortunately, I went the Advance Auto route for the lifetime warranty starter-$70.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:49 PM

The problem with many "lifetime warranty" starters is, you'll be changing them for a "lifetime". If the starter is easy to remove and replace, it's not too bad, but some are not so easy (7th gen I4 starter requires removing the intake).

Old 12-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Almost A Senior Member

In my opinion, since you declined the additional repairs, it seems odd that the starter would fail at the dealer and the $$ for the repair is roughly what you declined, I think you were taken for a ride, just my 2 cents,

Old 12-14-2014, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by woody31
In my opinion, since you declined the additional repairs, it seems odd that the starter would fail at the dealer and the $$ for the repair is roughly what you declined, I think you were taken for a ride, just my 2 cents,
I thought that was suspicious as well, but there's nothing I can do to prove it. I'll be less inclined to take the car there in the future. If the dealer is doing stuff like that, it's foolish short term thinking that will lose them long term customers. If not, it's an unfortunate coincidence which may cost them a customer anyway.