Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Coolant problem...Head gasket? Air?? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/coolant-problem-head-gasket-air-11473/)

PAhonda 08-03-2007 09:41 PM

RE: Coolant problem...Head gasket? Air??

If you are getting a lot of air bubbles coming out of the overflow tank, you might want to get a leak down test done. It can help pinpoint a headgasket problem.

bgtcket5 08-04-2007 12:07 PM

Is there any way to test the head gasket yourself?

sir_nasty 08-04-2007 12:16 PM

The most common signs of a bad head gasket are coolant in your oil (check the dipstick, if the oil looks milky you may have an issue) also, in the morning before starting your car take the radiator cap off and see if there is a rainbow looking liquid floating on top of the coolant (oil). Those are two easy ways to help check.

mjparrie 08-07-2007 01:18 AM

My Dealer said everything was working fine, except that I have a pin hole in the intake hose. I am wondering why I visually saw the water coming from the heater inlet hose at the nipple if the only problem was a pin hole in the intake hose (upper) on the radiator? It was over heating when it did this.

PAhonda 08-07-2007 02:41 AM

Mjparrie - Please start your own thread. It sounds like you have a completely different problem than bgtcket5, and it gets very confusing on who we are addressing on here.

bgtcket5 08-09-2007 04:21 PM

UPDATE: I have been driving fine with no overheating...until Today. I have been checking coolant levels and oil daily, even while it was running fine. I still have not seen any mixture of the two. Today when I was parked it started to heat up and again when I rev the engine to about 1500rpm it goes back down.

The coolant in the reserve tank is completely full while the radiator was alot lower. It seems the coolant is getting from the radiator to the reserve tank but cannot make its way back to the radiator? I think that is why it runs fine for days after the radiator is filled, until it all gets to the reserve tank and cannot make its way back.

I am dropping it off tonight one last time before bringing it to Honda (simply because my mechanic has been really good to me on price, doing alot for free - Honda wants $100 just to look at it). I will make sure he does a leakand pressure test. I am hoping the pressure is off due to either a pinhole or bad radiator cap...but I think I'm fooling myself. Thanks for all of your help everyone, I'll let you know how it goes.

peter4jc - sounds like i may have the problem your mechanic said about the exhaust gases...damn u!

deserthonda 08-09-2007 05:40 PM

have you pressure tested the system ?? pressure tested the radiator cap, to make sure it holds pressure ande the rubber seals are ok and not cracked ?? done a leakage test ??

bgtcket5 08-09-2007 05:48 PM

I am not sure if the mechanic ran those tests I am going to be speaking to him tomorrow (when I leave my car with him), and making sure they are done.