General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cooling fan wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 05:59 PM
Default Cooling fan wiring

I have a 96 Honda Accord 2.2. I was reading posts on here about the cooling fans. In the posts I have read it was said that the AC fan is on the driver side of car and the main cooling fan is on the pass side. But when the engine got to temp the driver said fan kicked on, the fan on pass side didn't. No AC wasn't on. So I was wondering ( I'm use to only one fan under hood) shouldn't both fans run when engine gets to temp. Or is there a bigger issue with the wiring, or does it really matter. My car seems rather hot when running (maybe 30 min of run time) however my temp gauge doesn't move more than maybe a quarter up never near half way like normal operating range. I bought this car a month ago, still trying to get use to owning a Honda. Thanks for taking time to read post or any replies.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Radiator fan and a/c compressor fan are just names of the fans. Both fans should turn on when the coolant is over 199F when the engine is running. Both fans should turn on when you turn on the a/c.

If the passenger side fan does not turn on, you need to figure out if the fan is bad or if the fan is not getting 12V or ground.

I owned a 95 accord for 11 years. If it hadn't had rust issues, I'd probably still be driving it. Anyway, 1/4 to 1/3 up the scale on your accord is the normal operating temperature.

The fans help cool the engine when you are at a stop. The air flow through the radiator when driving helps cool, so you won't see an overheat while driving. You will see the temperature rise if you are at a stop for an extended period of time.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:18 PM
Default Thanks for responding.

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Radiator fan and a/c compressor fan are just names of the fans. Both fans should turn on when the coolant is over 199F when the engine is running. Both fans should turn on when you turn on the a/c.

If the passenger side fan does not turn on, you need to figure out if the fan is bad or if the fan is not getting 12V or ground.

I owned a 95 accord for 11 years. If it hadn't had rust issues, I'd probably still be driving it. Anyway, 1/4 to 1/3 up the scale on your accord is the normal operating temperature.

The fans help cool the engine when you are at a stop. The air flow through the radiator when driving helps cool, so you won't see an overheat while driving. You will see the temperature rise if you are at a stop for an extended period of time.
Forn
When I got off work today I had to run to another town so roughly over an hour of driving got home read your reply went out to car and started right back up, there was about a half an hour or so since turned it off and the restart let it run for 10-15 minutes this time niether fan came on. I would assume from all the driving and it running for that extra 10-15 minutes the temp would have turned it on. So I turned the AC on and no fans ran, let it run for another 15 minutes still neither fan ran. I think I read on here that I can pull the temp sensor off the thermosat housing and jump it to see if fans run, or is there a different way? I have no voltage meters or tools of such would that work to test fans?

Old 07-29-2017, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

On the t-stat housing (lower radiator hose to engine" there is a two wire connector (green?) to a switch/sensor.

Remove that connector and jump the two wires together - use a paper clip or something. Turn the key to "on", where it would be if you were driving down the road.

Both fans should run with this set up......are they?

Old 07-31-2017, 07:35 PM

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by poorman212
On the t-stat housing (lower radiator hose to engine" there is a two wire connector (green?) to a switch/sensor.

Remove that connector and jump the two wires together - use a paper clip or something. Turn the key to "on", where it would be if you were driving down the road.

Haven't had a chance to check fans but I will have an update tomorrow thanks.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212

Well tested the fans as you suggested and only fan to come on was the driver side. So now this weekend I am going to see if I can rewire or maybe replace pass side fan. Is it possible to ( if fan is any good) jump it or tie into the driver side fan so that both come on when needed?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Make some jumpers and supply power to that fan from the battery to verify the fan actually runs. If it does, you should probably troubleshoot the circuit that's supposed to power it. If you piggyback it together with the other fan, you double the electrical load and might just start blowing fuses. It might even mess up the fan timer module which wants to see the 2 fans on separate circuits.