Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Crank bolt that wont budge! (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/crank-bolt-wont-budge-14044/)

wietgr 11-16-2007 02:33 PM

Crank bolt that wont budge!

94 EX 2.2L VTEC - My head gasket was leaking so i went ahead and removed the cylinder head and figured id replace my timing belt as well. I got the special service tool for the crankshaft pulley but the bolt will not budge. I have tried a 1/2 in impact, a 3/4 in impact, 3 ft long breaker which in turn shattered my special service tool. I havent tried heating it yet for fear ofweaking the temper of the crankshaft bolt.Is the bolt right or left hand threaded?What is the torque spec on the bolt? Any ideas would be great, my car for now is stranded on the lift till we get this bolt off... Thanks in advance!

-Greg

PAhonda 11-16-2007 02:50 PM

RE: Crank bolt that wont budge!

Bolt is normal thread. I used a 19mm 6pt impact socket and a 24' craftsman breaker bar to get the breaker bar outside of the wheelwell. I set the end of my extension on a jackstand. I used a 24' breaker bar with a 5ft piece of pipe over it. I stepped on top of the extension and had to turn the crank from about 3 o'clock to around 10 before the bolt came loose. I also had a crankshaft holding tool with a small extension wedged in there to wedge it against the subframe.

I used PB Blaster and torched the bolt for a bit. The torque on that bolt is very high plus there might be locktite in there. I think the torch weakens that stuff.

sir_nasty 11-16-2007 03:14 PM

you found the hardest bolt on the car to remove! You need a stupid high power impact gun, and even then you need to keep the trigger down and bang away for a good 30-60 seconds. LOTS of threads about this one.

00AccordLX5spd 11-16-2007 04:09 PM

I think the spec torque is supposed to be around 160 ft lbs. But once it has been on there for 13 years (If you've never changed your t-belt before) I'm sure it will take MUCH more than 160 ft lbs to get it off. Is the car running now? You could drive it to a Honda shop (or a shop with a good impact gun)and have them break it loose (should do it for like $20 or so- I've heard of some not charging at all for it). Then put it back on (not so tight) and ease it home.

sir_nasty 11-16-2007 04:19 PM

you're right, it's either 160 or 180 ftlbs... You need an impact gun rated at about 250 ftlbs at a minimum to get that thing off.

Tony1M 11-16-2007 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: wietgr
........................my car for now is stranded on the lift till we get this bolt off...
Don't fool around any more. Go to a heavy equipment rental place and rent a 1" drive electric impact wrench and the proper-sized impact socket.
The tool might very well look something like this:
Attachment 23263

Put the tool on the crank bolt and let it continuously pound away for as long as it takes to remove the bolt. It should not take more than 5 minutes. (Again, it's a normal thread - counterclockwise to loosen.)

Please let us know how you get the bolt out.

sir_nasty 11-16-2007 04:56 PM

Tony, what did we decided that crank pulley holder was called?

Special
Holder
In
Tool??

falkore24 11-16-2007 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

Tony, what did we decided that crank pulley holder was called?

Special
Holder
In
Tool??

LMAO ...... you're hilareous dude!!!!

sir_nasty 11-16-2007 05:07 PM

That was Tony1M's idea origonally so I can't claim it, but I think it fits

Tony1M 11-16-2007 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

That was Tony1M's idea origonally so I can't claim it, but I think it fits
No, nasty, I don't think it was my idea. I wish it were, though.

I'd do a search to find the real author, but I'm far too lazy toperform thatnumber of keystrokes without better motivation.