General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Auto trans shift points...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Default Auto trans shift points...

~'91 Accord LX
I just joined and have been looking for the thread(s) covering the AT's. I got a good deal onthis 1 owner LX and decided to "overlook" what seems to me to be a trans irregularity?First off,under light acceleration it wants to "linger" at around 3k rpm before it jerks into the upshift. I find myself wanting to let off a little to get it to shift. Can the shift points be adjusted?Also,and I could be mistaken about this because this is my first Honda,but it feels as though the converter stays locked up too long,meaning it feels like it's a manual trans. One thing for sure is that there's no mistaking when this trans shifts! It doesn't slip.
Your thoughts are appreciated!

Old 12-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Default RE: Auto trans shift points...

I'd start by checking the tranny fluid levels (if you haven't already) and make sure that it is clean, sounds like it could be a little low

Old 12-08-2007, 05:13 PM

Thanks. Sounds like an opportuinity to drop the pan,fluid and filter. Anything i need to watch for on a fluid change? I've done plenty of GM's but no Honda's....yet.
Again,what controls the shift points?

Old 12-08-2007, 05:37 PM

sorry missed that one... *L* your shift points should be controlled by the TCU (Transmission control unit) and to change the shift points I think you'd have to re-program it. Is the S light blinking at all?

Nothing fancy on the fluid change just a drain and re-fill.

I've seen a few posts now about tranny working on for early 90's honda's and a number of people have reported that a new TCU alleviated their issues, however, there is normally an error code of some sort...

Old 12-08-2007, 06:11 PM

Haven't had any codes so far and the only flashing dash light is the seat belt warning because the shoulder belt coupler won't retract!! (hint?)
Is it a common thing to have the main,( under the dash),ignition wiring harness connector to come apart? Literally one day after I had the car I went to start it and it just cranked and cranked but wouldn't fire. I checked all the fuses while I had my battery charger putting juice back into the battery. Tried to start it again and now there were no dash lights at all! I made "the call" to the previous owner. All was well after I plugged the harness back in. Looks like I'll have to fabricate a 4 bolt main cap to keep it in place!

Old 12-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ignition harness comes loose?
by the fuse box?
sounds like someone tried to steal the car once, and the culprit broke the plug.

ign harnesses on our cars are an absolute pain to de-pin and install a new one, i tried for several hours and couldnt get it. I finally gave up and cut/spliced/soldered into the connection i needed. They are rock solid, because thats what you use to hotwire said car.

changing trans. fluid on these cars is just liek changing oil. Theres a drain plug, and a fill plug. Only filter is internal. No need to drop the pan (if there was one... which there isnt)
Heck, you dont even need sockets. just a socket wrench (theres a square hole in the round drain plug)

Old 12-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

You can adjust the shift points; from the throttle body there is a cable that goes down to the Pressure lever at the front of the trans.
From a slack cable position the Pressure lever should just barely move as idle speed increases when opening the throttle. I use a long screwdriver resting on the pressure lever, holding it with one hand and turning the throttle linkage with the other hand.
Driving test .....
Rolling along a level road with light throttle at 25 mph, floor it and the trans should downshift to first gear.
Repeat the same drive at 28 mph, when you floor it the trans should downshift to second gear.
Lots of first time owners are not used to the honda trans because it shifts with positive pressure on the clutches, so it feels to have a 'kick' unlike the GM type MUSH shift.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:05 PM

mine shifts from 1st to 2nd around 3k rpm, 2nd to 3rd around 3300, 3rd to 4th around 2800-3100 depending on how hard i have it floored. and yeah good thing about these accords, only drain and fill tranny no worrying about taking a bath in tranny fluid from dropping the pan.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:46 PM

OK REAL Hondadude! That's what I was looking for. The GM TH-400's I'm used to had a vacuum modulator and a weighted governor that you could tweak.
My area is relatively level so I really don't need the motor reving to 3k or more in order to shift. Earlier shifts should also be easy on the MPG?
What about the trans filter?

Thanks!

Hey "Drummer",spent much time sitting next to a Marshall stack?? If I knew how to make a pic small enough to fit formy avatar,I'd post mine.

Nafango2: The connector I'm talking about is located at your left foot on the side panel. My size 13 steel toe boots give it a beating! At least now I know what's up if the car won't start!

Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 PM

there is no transmissions filter internal or external. those transmission never die because they never slip, they harshly engage the clutch packs for each gear and you feel it. it doesn't use a planetary gear set, it looks identical to a manual transmission with a clutch pack oneach gear.

adjusting the throttle valve is fairly straight forward. just keep in mind the cable loves to seize to the control lever and cause transmission problems.

Quick Reply: Auto trans shift points...