Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   decrease gas milage? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/decrease-gas-milage-52582/)

phantom699 01-25-2013 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by accord1224 (Post 309083)
check basics.

tire preasure.
air filter
ox sensor (can cause a drop if fuel )
run injector cleaner thru a couple of tanks.

bought seafoam.. add to fuel lines.. havnt used though cause its a lot of smoke + cold/winter atm ;(

phantom699 01-25-2013 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 309028)
Your intake can hurt fuel economy as can your exhaust systems mods. Using Premium gasoline can also hurt your fuel economy as your engine was not designed to take advantage of the extra detonation resistance.

the intake matches stock dimensions -.- no harm no foul. just extra noise. premium wont hurt, slight increase in mpg, and help ur engine run a little bit more efficent if ur having problems u havnt fixed yet.

*im at 200-250 a tank on reg, back at 300-320 with premium.
*exhaust smells like running rich, but no codes being thrown. might replace before/after cat just for ****s and giggles. o2 sensors

shipo 01-25-2013 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by phantom699 (Post 309142)
the intake matches stock dimensions -.- no harm no foul. just extra noise. premium wont hurt, slight increase in mpg, and help ur engine run a little bit more efficent if ur having problems u havnt fixed yet.

*im at 200-250 a tank on reg, back at 300-320 with premium.
*exhaust smells like running rich, but no codes being thrown. might replace before/after cat just for ****s and giggles. o2 sensors

Please understand that running premium fuel in an engine not designed to take advantage of the extra detonation resistance cannot in any way shape or form improve fuel economy. I know you and others want to *think* otherwise, but it just isn't so. The fact is there is slightly *less* energy in any given unit of premium fuel as compared to regular.

poorman212 01-26-2013 10:22 AM

O2's will get "lazy" and cause a drop in MPG without setting codes. I hate to suggest throwing parts at an issue but you've ruled out most everything else....no leaks, up to date on tune up stuff, ect....

TexasHonda 01-26-2013 10:51 AM

Pitted and leaky fuel lines would allow engine to run fine but appear to consume lots of gas. Check fuel pressure and if it won't hold, look for leaks or inspect for leaks.

Also if injectors have been moved, make sure the injector/fuel rail oring is sealing/not leaking.

good luck

accord1224 01-28-2013 11:41 AM

I am sorry for the miss understanding in my previous post concerning Premium fuel. I didn't mean that it would cause a drop in fuel consumption.

I was under the assumption that the concern was use of excessive fuel which equates to excess in cost.. and the goal is to save money.. so my intension of saying "do not use premium" was to save money... it was not meant to mean an increase or decrease fuel consumption.

However, premium fuels to have more detergents than regular and the detergents tend to clean the injectors better, so using premium can at times benifit you that way.

I would suggest running injector cleaner from time to time just to keep the injectors clean instead of using premium gas.

JimBlake 01-28-2013 11:57 AM

I think most "major brand"(?) gasoline has the same detergent package regardless of the anti-knock grade.

shipo 01-28-2013 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by accord1224 (Post 309574)
However, premium fuels to have more detergents than regular and the detergents tend to clean the injectors better, so using premium can at times benifit you that way.

I would suggest running injector cleaner from time to time just to keep the injectors clean instead of using premium gas.

Twenty or thirty years ago it was true thats Premium had more fuel system cleaners than Regular; that is no longer true. As for fuel system cleaner, unless you typically buy fuel from the bottom of the tank (the law of averages say this is unlikely), then don't bother with fuel system cleaner. Even though the companies which sell fuel (and oil for that matter) additives would like you to believe otherwise, all of the additives necessary to keep the fuel injection system of a modern car in tip-top condition for literally hundreds of thousands of miles of care-free driving, are already in pump fuel.

accord1224 01-29-2013 01:46 PM

Thanks for the info. I didn't know all grades of fuel now have the same cleaning agents... no more wasting money on injector cleaner

(but it seems, when I take a trip down to the beach and put injector cleaner in the tank, it seems like I get 20% better fuel economy, maybe it's just the excitement of going to the beach! )