General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

heavy steering

Old 12-16-2018, 04:46 PM
Default heavy steering

hi, there, new to forum, honda accord CL7 2006 plate had heavy steering for years, decided to try repair it , changed pump for another used one, no difference, changed steering rack for another used one, no difference, power steering tank , spotless, fluid been changed as well, no sign of air, no leaks, any ideas, cheers dave

Last edited by David Robertson; 12-16-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by David Robertson
hi, there, new to forum, honda accord CL7 2006 plate had heavy steering for years, decided to try repair it , changed pump for another used one, no difference, changed steering rack for another used one, no difference, power steering tank , spotless, fluid been changed as well, no sign of air, no leaks, any ideas, cheers dave
When was the last time it had an alignment? Is it lowered?

Old 12-16-2018, 06:28 PM

no,not been lowered, had an alignment with replacement steering rack, no tyre wear at all, just heavy steering, even going straight ahead, although wheel does pull to both left and right and have to keep correcting all the time

Old 12-16-2018, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

You replaced the two major components for the power steering. Follow the power steering lines to make sure they aren't pinched at some point.

You may also want to inspect your suspension. Put the car on jackstands. Turn the steering wheel until it locks. Grab the tire at the 3 & 9 o'clock position. See if you have any excessive movement by pushing/pulling the tire. Slight movement should only be the play in the steering wheel. If you have an assistant, have them hold the steering wheel and you should have no movement in the tire. Try the same test by pushing and pulling at the 12 & 6 o'clock positions.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure if this makes sense to be excessive drag in turning the steering wheel & steering shaft (between steering wheel & rack)??
In this case it would have the same drag if the front wheels were raised off the ground, and you reach in the window to turn the steering wheel.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:24 AM

hi, there, thanks for info, but suspension been checked, all ok no play, no binding on knuckle, either, steering wheel pull, feels more like fluid pressure on each side of straight ahead position, constantly struggling to keep it in straight ahead as you drive straight ahead as i say it feels more like pressure than a drag or bind. it was only a used rack i replaced on car but original rack, same symptoms, and only 40,000 mls on car 2006 accord ex 20ltr manual could i have 2 faulty racks and 2 faulty pumps ??, going to make up pressure gauge, and check fluid pressure on pump, honda want £100 for this, but could build my own for less , in progress just now, dave

Last edited by David Robertson; 12-17-2018 at 06:41 AM. Reason: addional info
Old 12-20-2018, 06:48 AM

hi there, managed to make up power steering pressure gauge, by buying cheap high pressure hose, and cutting in half, with gauge and cut off valve in between, done test as per honda, let engine idle, warm up fluid, dead head pump, by closing valve for 5 sec, got 1200psi all good, but when car at idle only 40psi, and when rpm raised to 2000rpm no difference, if anythiing gets lower, according to honda should get minimum of 214psi ,steering turned full lock each way, gives 1200psi , this reading is on 2 pumps tested, both giving same psi reading, i know 40 psi at idle cant be right, and no noticeable difference at between 2000, 3000rpm, cant be right, but both pumps showing same reading, i guess this is why i have heavy steering, at 2000 3000rpm range when driving i,m not getting assist from pump, but why ??? are both pumps faulty as original pump only done 40000mls, and second pump supposed to be a good used one, is this low psi reading coming from pump or rack , because as far as i know a restricted line , would show higher readings, any info would be much appreciated, dave