General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sensitive Brakes, brake dust and humming noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Default Sensitive Brakes, brake dust and humming noise

Hello,

I just got back from a 700 mile road trip and noticed that the front rims are very dirty and coated with fine powder I assume to be brake dust. The rear rims are not so dirty and still look silver. It is only the front wheels that have a lot of brake dust coating on them. I guess that is because the front brakes are the ones that do most of the braking, right? The dealer I bought the car from said he replaced the rotors and pads, and I do not know what kind he put in but I doubt if they will be Brembo. Also, the brakes are awfully sensitive. No matter how carefully I brake, I and any passenger in the car can feel the jerk that the braking causes...

My another concern was that I hear this annoying humming sound, which I believe comes from the right-rear wheel. It goes up and down proportional to the car speed, which makes me think it is the wheel bearing. but is it linked to this sensitive brake problem, maybe?? How do I diagnose this?

I took it to an auto shop and the mechanic that test drove the car said that there are ups and downs on the rear tires... possibly from hard turning, etc. that the previous owner may have done. This uneven wear is causing this noise and is not a major concern right now. But sometimes, I hear some type of metallic grinding when I drive the car over a bridge where u can hear an echo of ur car easily.

I would appreciate your inputs/comments/opinions on this.

Thanks
Thanks

Old 10-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The brakes on my 07 Accord are also sensitive (more sensitive than other Accords, Acuras I've driven). It takes a bit of time to adjust.

You can inspect the brake pads throught the aluminum wheel spokes w/ a mirror and light to be sure there is plenty of pad thickness. When pad thickness is less than pad steel support, then time to start planning on replacment.

Noise is difficult to diagnoise. You might have an inspection at a muffler shop for loose exhaust hardware or heat shields.

Dust from brake pads is normal on OEM pads in my experience. I like the OEM pads and intend to go w/ them when I replace on 07 Accord.

good luck