General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Default Air Conditioning

I need help finding where I could buy one of the hoses for the A/c system.

In the Haynes manual it is referred to as the "Receiver Line". This Hose Goes from the firewall to the receiver-drier.

Can someone please help me locate it online/@autozone/@oreillys website. I have these 2 hoses A/C Hose Assembly | 1998 Honda Accord LX 4 Cylinders 2.3L MFI VTEC | AutoZone.com

But I cannot get my hands on the 3rd one I mentioned.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The line from firewall to Receiver/Drier is not a hose, it's an aluminum tube. See any of the Honda parts sites (Majestic, etc). It's called receiver pipe and cost about $35.

You can probably find a used part via ebay or car-part.com.

good luck

Old 06-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

TexasHonda is correct. You already have the two hoses shown in the parts diagram (pic. attached).

Attached Thumbnails Air Conditioning-ac-lines.jpg  
Old 06-06-2012, 07:09 PM

Awesome! Thanks guys. See I had no idea what it was hose / or just a line since I bought my car without those.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:25 PM

I just called the dealer, They have it in stock!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 PM

There's probably a good reason parts are missing and it may indicate a compressor or other part failure in the past.

Suggest carefully flushing condensor, hoses, and removing/draining/inspecting compressor. It may be damaged.

A new receiver/drier is a must.

A good compressor check is to rotate the inner clutch plate by hand. It should turn w/ slight resistance and no scratchy/grinding feedback. If you feel anything suspicious, you should consider replacing compressor.

It's a good time also to remove evaporator and replace all expansion valve orings and drain/inspect the oil in evaporator for any compressor shavings. If you find anything, replace the evaporator and condensor. It's virtually impossible to remove shavings by flushing.

good luck

Old 06-07-2012, 01:48 AM

Thanks Texas, That is exactly the answer to the next questions I was going to ask.
It was removed because the turbo it had before i bought it burned one of the hoses so i guess they didnt bother replacing it.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:56 AM

I have a question, to check oil in the evaporator core.. Do I have to remove the glove box and the frame to get to it as stated in the Haynes manual or is the evaporator something else?

Old 06-07-2012, 06:22 PM

Yes, glove box and cross member must be removed to access the evaporator.

There is a download manual available from DIY forum and Online Manuals post. It has locations of bolts/nuts holding the evap housing under the dash. It's an easy job to remove, but take your time.

good luck

Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Yes, glove box and cross member must be removed to access the evaporator.

There is a download manual available from DIY forum and Online Manuals post. It has locations of bolts/nuts holding the evap housing under the dash. It's an easy job to remove, but take your time.

good luck
I have the Haynes, Ill follow that. You mentioned to check the oil for shavings.. does the oil need to be replaced too? And is there a valve that drains or or how does that work?

And last question, The compressor.. Do I slip it right off the belt?

Recently Added: Okay so I took the compressor off and it spins very smooth, no noises or anything. I now have to do the EVAP procedure. I have one wire coming from the compressor that I do not know where it goes. It has some time of metal clip at the end.

Last edited by jfidelh; 06-07-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning