Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Door sensors not working (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/door-sensors-not-working-35580/)

phibit 10-14-2010 10:21 PM

Door sensors not working

1993 LX 4D

The two rear door sensors work. The two front door sensors don't work, and I'd like to replace them.

More specifically, when either rear door is opened, three things happen: the overhead interior light goes on, the courtesy light in the door goes on, and the dashboard open-door layout indicates that the respective door is open.

When either front door is opened, nothing happens. I infer that this is a mechanical problem due to wear and that the sensors need to be replaced due to mechanical failure. Each sensor is embedded in the respective post (not the door), and its housing is an immobile black, smooth, round core surrounded by a ring of space and an outer flange. I conjecture that the flange can be pried out, bringing the assembly with it and that it can be unplugged from the electrical circuitry and replaced.

I'd like to hear confirmation or disconfirmation of my inferences and conjectures, along with complementary helpful advice.

TexasHonda 10-15-2010 08:01 AM

On 94 Accord the cover is removed, and a single screw retains the switch. Yours is probably same.

good luck

phibit 10-16-2010 02:15 AM

Today I discovered the door switches just under the door latches on the door jambs. A door switch slides horizontally when the door is opened or closed. What I had thought were door sensors are probably just plugs in unused holes in the door jambs containing the door hinges.

poorman212 10-16-2010 07:37 AM

If it is like the 3rd and 5th gen's-Once removed look at the contact on the back side, I've cleaned several on my cars and got them working again. A little sandpaper and then protectant (greese, wd40, whatever you prefer) and off you go. Just an idea to think about.

phibit 10-19-2010 12:04 AM

A great tip! Thank you!

doncello 04-24-2015 11:12 AM

Hi, I have similar problem but mine switch plastics are broken for 2 rear doors. And I am not sure wether there is any for the trunk. Do you guys know where can I buy new ones, prefarably from China or Asian countries? Because shipping is very expensive to Turkey from USA. Thx.

Turtlehead 04-24-2015 02:44 PM

I would go to a salvage yard, find a car that has them and does not appear to have water damage, I.e. The side windows are no broken or down and the doors are closed. I have always had good luck using that approach at my local salvage yards.

doncello 04-24-2015 03:45 PM

Thx. Ill try that. There are people who are into that business. Ill ask them but new ones would be better. Sometimes those people ask ridiculous prices for ridiculous things))