General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driver’s window will not raise / lower motor works

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Default driver’s window will not raise / lower motor works

Hi,
I have a 1995 Honda Accord Station Wagon, Auto trans with 128, +++ Miles.
Last night when I attempted to close the driver’s window there was a grinding noise and the window stopped. I thought that it might have come off the track. This afternoon I took off the liner and found a small white plastic gear on the bottom of the inside of the door. There is also a birds-nest of small cables. The motor still works. What parts do I need to do this repair? Where do you suggest I locate them? How do I go about this repair?
Thanks,

Old 02-09-2011, 03:36 PM

dude, totally easy one. I'll help you out.
first of all the part you are looking at should be the motor/regulator assembly, its the steel rail, some cable, the motor(with a plastic connector with prob. 3 wires goin to it), the glass and bolts. check and make sure that the plastic gear is from where the motor mounts and it isnt part of the cable's pulleys.I am speaking generally about this but i will look up some diagrams if i can for you. if it is part of the motor/regulator assembly than you may be able to get it at a local parts house(Autozone, advance, o'riellys, kragen,checkers,whatever,napa)its sound like the motor still functions, so you might want to try getting a regulator assembly from these places and skipping buying the motor. But check out the parts first and really determine where the gear cam from. it may be a part only included with the motor. if you call honda parts or go down there they have exploded views of all the parts on their computer and you can really see where it comes from and what parts you need. the removal of the regulator is easy, you just unbolt the rails and motor, then unclip the window glass from the assembly and slide the glass up and out of the door. plastic clips often break but can be bought inexpensively at the honda house.
P.S. i love junk yards but the plastic pieces there will be just as bad if not worse than the broken one you have

Last edited by lemongnade; 02-09-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: left out info
Old 02-09-2011, 03:42 PM

www dot autopartswarehouse dot com/featured/wipers_and_windows/1461453569.html

Price:
$53.18

Last edited by JimBlake; 02-09-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: link
Old 02-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

I had to change the link because of forum rules. ACTIVE links only to sponsors.
(I don't think people will have too much trouble fixing it after pasting it into a browser.)

Old 02-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Wink window parts

Hi Lemongnade or others,
Thanks for your help. It looks like this is the part. I checked the local Honda shop to price the part. Judging from the price he quoted, I thought that he was trying to sell me the whole door. Needless to say I will be looking else where for the part. Can you provide step by step procedures for the replacement? Do you have a part number for the “plastic clips” you mentioned. They were not shown on the parts breakdown I was looking at. Thanks again.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 AM

I have had it happen on my passenger side window, but in my case the cable was warped and rolled around the motor causing it not to roll. Then it broke some plastic part, which made it no more useful.
Tried a few junkyards for the whole assembly, they quoted around $70 for the whole motor regulator assembly.
Got a new aftermarket motor-regulator assembly from ebay for $40.
Its been almost a year now and is still working good. Although the window rolls a bit slower than with the stock motor. I have no complaints thought.
You're true with OEM dealer quote, we could get the whole door for that price.

Just my 2 cents, if the part is costing you more than $50 and more hours of labour, get the aftermarket assembly, whole lot easier than to tinker around with the old motor.