Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   DRL Fix (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/drl-fix-3719/)

eckhart 06-23-2006 12:23 PM

DRL Fix

Hi, I'm hoping you can post this great fix for a typical 92 (to 02) daytime running light fix (Might be for Canada cars only).

My symptoms were:

DRL light on all the time. Even when emergency brake was released.
When hi beams would be turned on the passenger side hi beam did not work.
Replaced all 4 bulbs and no change.

Found an article that the problem may be the DRL Relay. I followed the instructions and fixed it. It is as simple as removing the module, taking the circuit board out and re-soldering the joints.

Here is the article, with pictures:

http://www.nyx.net/~smanley/hondadrlfix/index.html

Tony1M 07-04-2006 03:06 PM

RE: DRL Fix

ORIGINAL: eckhart

Hi, I'm hoping you can post this great fix for a typical 92 (to 02) daytime running light fix (Might be for Canada cars only).

My symptoms were:

DRL light on all the time. Even when emergency brake was released.
When hi beams would be turned on the passenger side hi beam did not work.
Replaced all 4 bulbs and no change.

Found an article that the problem may be the DRL Relay. I followed the instructions and fixed it. It is as simple as removing the module, taking the circuit board out and re-soldering the joints.

Here is the article, with pictures:

http://www.nyx.net/~smanley/hondadrlfix/index.html

Thanks for that great link.

My DRL don't work unless it's rained recently. Then they work for awhile and then quit. I'll bet atmoshpheric moisture gets into the module and "fixes" it by closing some circuits which are noramlly open.

Anyway, I'd like to attempt this fix.

We have a 92 Accord LX 4 dr, no AC, no power anything.

Do I have to remove any steering wheel, dash, or trim components to get to the relay, or can I find and remove it by looking up under the dash above the gas pedal?

There's that small part of the dash panel under the steering wheel that I could easily remove, as well, if that would help.

Thanks for any advice.

Tony1M 07-06-2006 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I located the DRL relay and I soldered about 5 connectors. We now have DRL and the other lights work perfectly.

HOORAY!

On our 92 Accord LX auto, the relay is located just inside the edge of the dash, right near the hood release lever. You can't miss it. This photo is looking up under the dash from the floor - you can see the hood release latch and a portion of the driver's door (in the background left).

Attachment 23874

I slipped it upward off its bracket with some difficulty, but getting it back on in the same manner was impossible. Honda must have intended that the dash be removed prior to doing this job.

Anyway, I removed the driver's seat to allow more access to the bracket and I loosened it's mounting screw until it almost fell off. I then managed to maneuver the relay into postion and get it started on the loose bracket. I then used a screwdriver to push up on the bracket as I pulled down on the body of the relay. Finally the relay was fully seated on the very loose bracket.

My small-handed wife then placed a 10mm deep-socket on the bracket mounting screw, now invisible above the relay, and I managed to engage the ratchet into the socket without dislodging it from the screw. I then tightened the screw.

Getting the relay out of the car, re-soldering and testing it took under 1/2 hour.

Getting the little mother back in the car took almost two hours of neck-bending, sweating and cursing.

Being a lazy SOB at heart, I just thought of a way around removing and installing the entire relay, and I figured I'd pass it on. If your relay is in the same position as ours, unplug the blue plug from the blue outlet on the relay. Without removing the relay, pry the circuit board out of the plastic case of the relay as described in that very helpful procedure, solder it, and then slip it back up into its case til it snaps into position for testing and normal operation.

Doing this will save a lot of work.

YeuEmMaiMai 07-06-2006 11:27 PM

ahha another relay that is the victim of cold solder joints

Equalizer 02-10-2007 08:16 PM

Awesome!!! I just bought a 94' Accord that has the same symtoms! I'm off to find my soldering gun.......

rcy 03-15-2007 03:27 AM

canaccord96 03-21-2007 10:55 AM

Great, thanks. Looks like my Saturday afternoon is now booked.

Cheers.

Trickster 10-05-2007 06:34 PM

On my 92, I thought all I had was a burnt out high beam on pass side, and the DRL light is always on..............and the drivers lights never come on.
Replaced all 4 bulbs with new ones, no change!
Found this thread and i suspect this is my problem as well. I am away for a week but when back i may have at this little relay and see if it solves my problems as well!
Excellent link by the way!

Trickster 10-24-2007 08:12 PM

the DRL box was the culprit, and I used the excellent link above.
Thanks!!!

Will_V 05-28-2009 05:43 PM

Thanks to the link above, I resoldered the DRL circuit board as directed and my DRL is now working perfectly.