Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Dry Starts after oil changes?? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/dry-starts-after-oil-changes-54611/)

greg24 05-02-2013 09:43 AM

Dry Starts after oil changes??

Ive been doing lots of research on changing my own oil, i saw that most wear comes from starting your car, ESPECIALLY after changing the oil because the filter wont be full of oil there isnt pressure as quick so it can wear out your engine bearings and other parts of the engine. How many of these dry starts can a car take before breaking??? or wearing out the bearings? How bad is the damage from starting your car after an oil change? and how many oil changes will it take before it ruins the bearings and what not.

shipo 05-02-2013 10:58 AM

All things considered, you're way overthinking this. Why? Because even with the dry starts (which can be at least partially remediated by pre-filling the oil filter with new oil), the engine will most likely outlast the rest of the car by many years.

TexasHonda 05-02-2013 12:15 PM

Read posting rules and don't post in DIY forum.

Dry starts probably don't hurt anything. If they did, there would be warnings and procedures to reduce damage.

Personally, I always try to reduce amount of engine running w/o oil pressure by starting/killing as soon as engine catches. Usually 2 cycles are enough to get oil pressure light to go off. I've had engines that knocked until engine oil pressure came up and developed the start/kill to reduce knocking.

good luck

Roader 05-02-2013 01:01 PM

And it's really not "dry"; there's a film of oil left on pressure lubricated parts after an oil change. Bearings might knock for a few seconds but it's not metal-to-metal contact.

greg24 05-02-2013 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Roader (Post 320447)
And it's really not "dry"; there's a film of oil left on pressure lubricated parts after an oil change. Bearings might knock for a few seconds but it's not metal-to-metal contact.

if its not metal on metal then what makes the knock noise?

Dr. Drivability 05-02-2013 01:27 PM

some old school mechanics would say to disable the ignition system by removing the coil wire, grounding it and cranking till the idiot light went out, or the gauge registered pressure...of course this is near impossible on todays engines...

Roader 05-02-2013 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by greg24 (Post 320451)
if its not metal on metal then what makes the knock noise?

The bearings. Normally they're riding on a nice, thick film of oil. No oil pressure means no thick film of oil. But there's still a thin film for the several seconds it takes to fill the filter and build up pressure.

EXV6NIGHTHAWK 05-02-2013 04:48 PM

I think, if you ran the engine just before draining the oil, like you are supposed too, and didn't take forever to finish refilling, there would be enough oil left on the bearings and internals, that the "dry start" would be negligible. Seems to me, a dry start, after the car has been sitting for days, or even just overnight, would be more harmful than the start after an oil change.

valvelash 05-02-2013 05:03 PM

Way over thinking this. Use quality oil and filter, change it often and go spend the energy & time on things that are way more important. all will be fine :)