Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   ECU for automatic trans (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/ecu-automatic-trans-66239/)

esc2064 10-31-2018 03:32 PM

ECU for automatic trans

Hi there. This is my first post on this forum and have a question if anyone can help that has been down this path before. I want to do a transmission swap from manual to an automatic is the ECU the same? I have a 1994 Honda Accord EX Sedan. Thanks.

PAhonda 11-04-2018 07:35 PM

Nope. You will need an ECU from a 94/95 EX Automatic Transmission.

esc2064 11-04-2018 08:08 PM

How about the wiring harness? Is this required to be swapped out too? Thanks.

PAhonda 11-05-2018 11:50 AM

Forgot to mention that you will need a TCU from a 94/95 EX Automatic.

You'll need the wiring harness for the transmission.

I'm not sure if the wiring harness will be necessary for the ECU.

Why are you doing this swap?

JimBlake 11-05-2018 12:53 PM

The instrument cluster is different, having the lamps for PRND21. For 1994 I'm not certain whether the ECM or PCM will recognize whether it has the correct cluster.

But... Does anyone know whether the VSS is compatible auto vs. manual?? Number of pulses per mile might drive the speedometer at a different rate.

esc2064 11-05-2018 09:27 PM

I bought this car for my wife and she doesn’t drive a manual transmission and she doesn’t want to learn. I think she’s afraid of the rolling backwards feeling when going uphill where we live. Right now, I’m just doing my homework before I begin my task of swapping out the drivetrain. The JY is full of these cars so getting parts is not a problem but here’s my list that I figure I’ll need to swap transmission let me know if I have missed something. Thanks

1. Automatic transmission.
2. Shift column with linkage.
3. Automatic transmission computer module.
4. Gauge cluster.
5. Automatic transmission wiring.
6. Drive shafts (left & right).

JimBlake 11-06-2018 06:28 AM

Since you're junkyard-diving, I'll make a couple suggestions which I think will be equally easy to find. (I'm not completely sure about all of these because I haven't done this job in either direction)

2a. Auto-Transmission Shift lever
2b. Shifter Cable
2c. Some trim parts of the console might be different??

3a. Auto-Transmission computer (TCM)
3b. Engine computer (auto-trans version of the ECM - also has to match VTEC vs. non-VTEC)
3c. Brackets for mounting both of these?? (5-speed car doesn't have a TCM)

Cable from throttle-body down to transmission. (Does the TB need a different cable-drum??)

I think the starter is different?

Different bolts for flywheel to crankshaft (A/T drive plate is thinner than a M/T flywheel)

Rear engine mount is different; vacuum-controlled mount low in the middle between trans & firewall. Not sure if any of the other mounts are different?

Brake pedal assembly with switch (different from the brake-pedal switch on a M/T car)

The Toecutter 11-06-2018 01:46 PM

Add a transmission oil cooler to the list.
I only say that because the radiator might not have one built into it.