General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Thinking of buying a...

Old 11-29-2011, 07:54 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Thinking of buying a...

Hello All from a newb. I know nothing about Honda's, never owned or driven. I'm looking at purchasing a 2004 Accord EX-L (V6, AT) with 145,000 miles. The vehicle is 'suppose' to be in excellent condition (particularly inside) with the exterior looking 'perfect'...although I have yet to see it. I'm told the vehicle is LOADED and even has a navigation system (who cares). Mechanically, I'm told it's in 'great shape'. Unfortunately, I don't think a maintenance history is available. Through brief discussion with the owner, he wasn't able to give a definitive YES or NO as to whether the timing belt has been changed, nor was he sure the number of previous owners. The asking price is $6,400.00

1 1/2 years ago, I bought a one owner 1998 Toyota Avalon XLS (V6) for my 21 y/o son with 53,000 mi. from the same guy who is now offering me the '04 Accord. At the same time, I also bought a 2002 Volvo S40 from him (seemingly a solid and 'stand-up guy') as he is a "dealer" who only buys import cars from auctions. Both vehicles turned out to be outstanding although the risk I took was relatively low (the volvo had complete maintenance records). Well, the Volvo is still running strong. The Avalon...not so much as my son wrecked it 2 days ago. Totaled!

So, now I'm looking at replacing the Avalon with the above mentioned '04 Accord EX-L (V6). My questions are (being absolutely NEW to Honda):

1) What would YOU do before purchasing the '04 Honda? 2) What specifically would you look for in terms of possible maintenance issues? 3) Are there any common (relatively expensive) maintenance issues with the '04 Accord? 4) Would you take it to a Honda dealer for an inspection (how much $$$) and what 'specifically' would I be asking them to check? 5) Is it common to see a 'sticker' placed on/around the timing belt cover indicating the date of replacement? 6) What about the tranny (I've been told Honda AT's shift rather 'hard'?

I don't want to go into this deal 'blindly' so I kindly ask for your feedback. Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:34 AM

The first thing I'd do is ask for a free Carfax report on this car. Your seller should provide it especially if he calls himself a "dealer". The report may contain service details which show whether timing belt was done in the past (should have been done around the 100k mile mark).

The second thing is to take it to another shop and spend $100 for a complete system check.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

I would call your local honda dealer and give them the VIN to find out what work was done on the car. I would find out if the timing belt was replaced.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks for the replies so far. aside from the timing belt replacement, are there any common repair/failure issues with the 2004 V6 accord?

what about automatic transmission issues in the 04...are they any better/worse than other model years? someone told me that 2001 and 2002 models seem to have more problems? thanks!!!

Old 11-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I thought the V6's had a timing chain
Who care about Navigation? It is the best addition to cars since wheels, i will never own a car without it again.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by crispin
I thought the V6's had a timing chain
If you read the Accord V6 manual, you will see that it recommend replacing the timing BELT after the first 105k miles, and every 60k miles afterwards. I believe it's the civic that has timing chain.

OP, each car is different. I wouldn't take any chances, and take it to a shop for a complete check. The only time you don't need to do so is when you buy a certified car.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

what kind of check can be done on an automatic tranny??? i think for about 140 bucks, I can have the vehicle inspected at a dealer which includes a 'look see' into the engine. Tranny....not so???

It just seems there should be SOME common 'nuisance-type' failure with the accord. i know with a toyota camry and avalon, suspension problems/wear was VERY common..particularly strut mounts and sway bar bushings.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Accordian04
what kind of check can be done on an automatic tranny???.
Is.. that a rhetorical question...? I wouldn't know, but I would hope the so-called mechanics at the shop would. If the transmission has any significant issue, they should be able to tell.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Owner's manuals can be wrong... but the V-6 still has a timing BELT.

Beginning in 2003 the 4-cyl has a chain.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i have some updated information on the 04 accord v6 a/t. i found out the timing belt/water pump/etc/etc was replaced at 123,000 miles (whew). Also a starter motor replaced in 2009 and the condenser in 2007. All done by honda dealer.

There is NO record of the maintenance required at 105k (7 yrs) which i am told is spark plug replacement and valve adjustment. Apparently, this recommended maint is about $600 at the dealership.

carfax reveals it to be a 1 owner prior to the broker/dealer who has owned it since he purchased it at the auction 6 months ago. what bothers me the most is NOT knowing about fluid changes...particularly the tranny. i asked the question as to whether a honda dealer could do any diagnostic check or visual inspection that would tell me what shape the tranny is in. i don't know?

i can only assume the original owner took the vehicle to a local garage (good year dealer according to carfax) for some routine minor maint and oil changes. carfax shows good year dealer installed new battery in '06 so perhaps they handled oil changes too. i can only hope they serviced tranny.

now, my big unknown is if i buy the car....how long will it be before i have to dump big money into suspension parts, brakes, exhaust?, or whatever else normally fails. help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a...