Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Engine Knock (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/engine-knock-7672/)

imjrk 02-18-2007 01:59 PM

Engine Knock

I have a '96 Accord, VTech, automatic, with 142k. Using synthetic oil and Fram TG oil filter every 5k, or less. Changed out the starter and within 30 miles it started knocking really bad. I am sure it had nothing to do with the starter replacement, but I just mention it to cover all the bases. The knocking sound seems to be coming from the upper area of the engine over the second cylinder from the drivers side. I pulled the valve cover and ran it, but could not determine exactly what is making the knocking sound. Yes, there is oil spraying out as it is running. I have no experience with Vtech engines so any and all advice would be appreciated. Think it is a valvetrain problem? Or is this the sound it makes if the cam belt jumps a cog and the valve hits the top of the piston? I do not know, but am just grabbing at straws. Thank You

hondadude 02-18-2007 02:16 PM

RE: Engine Knock

Do you know if the T-belt was ever changed?
You should be able to remove the upper timing cover and the valve cover, then rotate the engine to #1 TDC ....#1 cam lobes will be at 4'O'clock and 7 'O'clock. Then look at the face of the cam pulley for 2 slash marks that line up with the top of the head, when the crank pulley is at the white TDC mark
Also look at the T-belt for missing teeth, usually though the engine would be running very rough if at all.

YeuEmMaiMai 02-18-2007 02:28 PM

just ot be on the safe side, drian your oil and make SURE that there are no metal flakes in it....

imjrk 02-18-2007 03:03 PM

Where exactly is the upper timing cover? And which cyl. is #1? Drivers, or pass. side? I do not know if the cam belt was ever changed, bought car in Nov. 05. Was and still is running excellent, very smooth, just has this loud knock now. Have worked on rear drivers, first front driver and VTech I have to get this deeply into. Thanks

RSM93HONDA 02-18-2007 10:38 PM

I replaced a starter once and it did the samething shortly after it was installed. It turned out that some spring that helps bring the gear back into the starter from the flywheel was busted and the gear would hit the flywheel and it sounded like it was knocking. I put another starter and problem went away. Hope this helps.

wietgr 02-18-2007 11:39 PM

#1 cyl is the furthest from the transmission

deserthonda 02-19-2007 01:29 AM

if there was no noise before you replaced the starter and there is noise now,, double checking your installation would be the first place i would look ....you got the correct starter? all bolts tight ? starter installed properly ,, all the way flush with the tranny before you tightened the bolts up ?? if all is ok.. and noise sounds like is coming from upper valve train ,, valve lash too loose ? distributor noise?? if a valve hit the top of the piston you would have a bent valve and engine would misfire .......chk the easy things first

imjrk 02-20-2007 11:30 AM

Thanks for all of the great advice. I gues I WILL start with the simple things first, the repalced starter. It did not begin making the noise until after about 30 miles and several starts, I was driving it for a while when it starting "ticking" upon light accelaeration. It sounded like a bad lifter. I was only slightly concerned. My kids drove it another 15 miles after that and that it is when it was knocking very loudly. That is why I did not consider a starter problem. The valvetrain seems to be funtioning properly. Where is the timing cover to check the cam timimg and how do I remove it? Thank You

deserthonda 02-20-2007 11:39 AM

was an oil change done close to you replacing the starter ?? full of oil ? no oil leaks ? oil lite on ? have valves been adjusted recently,, ? if so ,,,,loose valve lash adjuster nut ?

imjrk 02-20-2007 02:58 PM

Oil & filter change about a month ago, synthetic oil and Fram TG filter. Oil is still clean and level is "full" No oil leaks, no oil light on. No valve adjustment in the year plus I have owned the car. Thanks